The Reloading Balancing Act

Written by Sierra Bullets Ballistic Technician Philip Mahin

phil-cooking2A lot of calls that come into the 800 room are made by shooters that are of a retiring age. That isn’t meant to be an insult but just something I’ve picked up on. Most of the time the shooter used to reload back when they were kids and stopped in order to raise a family, pursue a career, or both. Maybe their father or grandfather taught them back in the day and they are looking for an answer to the new whatchamacallit they found on the internet. The point is they are coming back to it because it was fun.

As a father of three, a husband, a brother, a son and son-in-law, and a friend and neighbor, I get pulled in a lot of directions. In all honesty, reloading and shooting has become a stress relief for me even though I work in the shooting industry.

Sometimes, the shooting gets put on hold for other more important things but there will always be another project or repair to accomplish. There are a lot out there that have found a way to balance the work life, the family life, and the play life. I would like to applaud you on your efforts because it is a hard thing to accomplish.

Remember to take time and relieve that stress so do something fun, especially if it is shooting that special handload you just made.

This entry was posted in Reloading and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Reloading Balancing Act

Nice article and many truths in it!
    For myself the last statement is one of most pertinent. I find it very fulfilling to fire ammunition that I have developed, especially when it does not exist in a reloading manual and is created for some special application that is too narrow to be listed for general usage. 🙂
    Thanks.

2. Roger says:

Agree exactly. I believe I eould have written the exact same. I also had 3 children and reloading was a definite stress relief.

3. Duane Madoerin says:

Excellent observation! I started reloading when I was 15 in 1963. Started reloading again about five years ago, at age 63. Impressed with advancements in components and equipment. Take pleasure in developing a recipe that will maximize a rifles accuracy potential. Great retirement hobby. Good excuse to buy more guns to work-up new loads. Huge Sierra fan – Bullets and support. Thanks

4. Brittius says:

Reblogged this on .

5. johnler says:

The article applies to many aspects of my reloading experience. I would like to see someone further express the view, from my/our position with a large gap in related activities, of many writers in magazines and books. They write about features, I assume they are the important ones, and the photographers take beautiful pictures but rarely include one that provides a useful view of the features. The also reference something as a “type” – perhaps something included on a Mauser, Winchester Model 70, or Remington 700. Some of the names they use are not the same as the ones in use in the ’50s. They also use acronyms without spelling out what they are substituted for in the first usage of the acronym, a real “no-no” when I took writing classes. I know they work against word length for an article but a little more attention would make the articles more interesting and less work for the reader. I flew fighter aircraft for the United States Air Force and am quite sure I could lose most of the population in a conversation or writing on their employment by using jargon, acronyms, and named procedures. The same goes for engineering, math, program management, and financial terms. It requires only little diligence to make the discussion interesting rather than a puzzle.

6. Mike says:

I just started reloading (I’m 50). I grew up in a country qwhere is not as easy to obtain guns or reloading material (even though I learn that quite a few people apparently do reload there) and enjoying this freedom a lot!!!
    I very much enjoy learning about, actually loading my own rounds and obviously shooting them.
    However there are still some mysteries to me in regards to the powder selection and other factors but all this will pose challenges which actually make life interesting!!
    Any hint to literature solving this mysteries other than standard reloading manuals is welcome!
    Thanks for these awesome products SIERRA ist producing!,

7. I’m retired some six years now. One things impressed on me prior to actual retirement was to NOT just quit doing everything, go home, watch television, drink beer and die.

I have reloaded ammunition since 1970 or so. My passion in the firearms world is World War One infantry rifles. Typically I must reload for them to get ‘authentic’ ammunition for evaluation and comparison. This requires a bit of research, along with determining the history of ‘need’, design and engineering for a specific rifle.

Another ‘hobby’ I have is Biblical research. The ideas of theology and doctrine. It is somewhat related to reloading as there are certain principles and realities underlying the mechanics of what one does.

Both hobbies give one a sense of accomplishment. Frankly, a man (probably a woman as well) should be accomplishing something productive.

8. Dennis Cattanach says:

Very good article. At 69 and put two kids through college one phD and one masters I am happily back at the range.