Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data

Barrel Length: 24”
Twist: 1-8’’
Case: Hornady
Trim-to Length: 1.910’’
Primer: Winchester WLR

Remarks:

Developed in 2007 by Dennis DeMille and Dave Emary, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a shortened and improved 30 TC cartridge case that was inspired by the .308 Winchester design.  This short action design was created to maximize case capacity and a wide range of loading lengths, while still fitting in standard short action magazines.  With the correct twist barrel, the versatile 6.5 Creedmoor can take advantage of the wide range of bullet weights available in 6.5mm.  Reloaders should keep in mind that the 6.5 Creedmoor works best with medium to medium-slow powders such as H4350, Varget, Win 760, and RE-17.  The light recoil and adaptability of the efficient 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge has already proven itself in high power, precision rifle series and benchrest competitions.  Couple that with respectable barrel life and its intrinsic accuracy potential and you have a recipe for success which should insure its legacy for decades to come.

1-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

2-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-dataINDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

3-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data
INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

4a-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-dataINDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

5-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

6-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

7-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

This entry was posted in Reloading and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data

1. Pingback: Sierra | Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data |

2. Joey Garren says:

My .260 will do ever thing I need it to do, don’t think I’ll swap it fer a creedmore. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine round, but my .260 is bout 100-120 fps faster, and don’t think it could get any more accurate. My lil .260 dang near one holes @ 100 yards with Sierra 140gr Gamekings!!! With Matchkings it’s awesome @ 600 yards, less than 1 1/2″.

• Chris warren says:

Finally someone spoke up for the 260. Have always wondered what was so extra great about the 6.5, when it first appeared I made brass from the 260 very little difference. Love my 260 sold my 6.5 for a large profit, they were hard to get at that time

3. I agree with Joey. My last national records were with the 6.5X08, 260 Rem. The intent for the Creedmoor was to reduce the case capacity of the 260 rem and allow the bullet to be seated out further in the case and still be with in the 2.800 max OAL of the magazine. While it did both of these it now needs to use faster powders and higher pressures to do what the 260 was already doing. All of this was for XTC but the issue of recoil was diminished as new and lighter bullets came on the market and load it to the recoil level you want in the 260 there’s no difference. Now that Camp Perry is no longer the Mecca for the NRA National Championships and the dwindling numbers over the last several years the Creedmoor cartridge will enjoy the lime light for a small period of time before it flickers out. I wish Dennis and David all the best but the niche market it was intended for is now gone.

• Alan Lisitano says:

Mitchell, it is being used for the PRS series. I think it’s the go to cartridge from what I can tell. The 6 mm is also a large choice.

• The 6.5 CM is far from flickering out, it is gaining popularity, Lapua is even offering match brass.

• Harold Bradshaw says:

I get request on almost a weekly basis, with people asking for a Creedmoor rifle for Target or Hunting, Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

• I see raging fads in case designs , as that’s ALL this is about. A bullet going ‘X’ velocity really doesn’t need to know what case it came from. So what we do is redesign a case to suit a specific application then 10 years later we asked oh do you remember ?? If I were to show you that list it would get boring rather quickly. So when was the last time you saw a 30X338 on the line and the 6.8 Grendal , 264 Winchester, Opps and the 7mm RUSUM , 257 Roberts , 225 Winchester , 7mm Waters, it get endless. The problem with the 6.5 Credmoor is the demise of NRA XTC shooting as its no longer at Camp Perry. The specific intent for that cartridge is no longer there and some companies are trying to do their typical magical sales gimmick while they can. Ask 100 hunters if their using it this year ?

• Harold Bradshaw says:

I respect your opinion , but the hunting and NRA shooters are not the ones who are buying the cal. in droves, the PRS, the taticool civilian crowd and several groups of shooters love it for what ever reason. I am a Match Director at our Gun Club, and in the last five years more and more 6.5 Creedmoor keep showing up.

• Esabatmfa says:

The 6.5×47, 260Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor all get the job done. I have the 6.5×47 and the Creedmoor and both shoot great. The Creedmoor is the easiest to find component’s for at least in northern WV. We should be glad we have these choices to pick from and argue over.

4. Clint Haight says:

Great job on the 6.5!
    Now we could use 25-45 Sharps data!
    Patiently waiting😀

5. Ron says:

Will you be publishing this as an update to your reloading manual, if so, I need 2 of them.

6. Ron says:

P.S. thanks very much.

7. J Maritin says:

Those velocities with the 140 grain bullet compare well with my actually chronographed 7×57 Mauser 29″ barrel velocities…. Chronographed ‘in Summer 2016″ 140 grain 7×57 2680 fps with H-4831 at a less than maximum charge of 48 grains… >>My real world gun performs as shown in 50th Anniversery Sierra Manual<<

That is an impressive little 6.5 …. It Sends 140 grain bullet at Close to 7×57 Mauser with 29" barrel performance ….from a 24" test barrel in a Universal Receiver…. WOW !
    6.5 Creedmoor Seems to be right on par with 6.5×55 Swede Mauser performance.

Test barrel in fixed receiver NON-Semi-auto is one thing….
    I wonder how much speed it "loses" or "actually achieves" in a typical AR-Carbine.

8. Marc B says:

Is this the first time you have published and addendum to the 5th ed. Manual? I don’t recall ever seeing a release like this before, and now I am wondering if there is any additional load data that I am missing out on.

I am in favor of releasing new cartridge loads on your site rather than publishing new editions of the manual for only minor changes like Hornady and Lyman have been doing. Keep up the good work.

9. Steve Grazaitis says:

I doubt this cartridge will flicker out. Savage would not have introduced it in their new AR platform if they thought that. Like the 6PPC, it may be the perfect case capacity for the .264 diameter bullet. Hunting is where this cartridge really shines. No noise, no kick. Just dead critters. Kinda sounds like my first love affair, the .250 Savage. It is, what we 250 hunters wanted. A 120 grain bullet at 2800 and pressures kept in check, An option of a heavier bullet if we decide to tackle Black Bear or Elk.

10. Tom Goldenberg says:

I have AR platforms in .260 Remington, .243, 6.5 Grendel, 308, .50 Blackout, 7.62×39, .223, and .50 Beowulf. No need for Creedmoor. If I did not have any Ar platforms and wanted a .264 caliber, I still see no advantage of a Creedmoor other then if u carried 400 rounds of ammo it would be a few ounces lighter then a 260. Cost, availability of parts and ammo still lead me to 260 Remington. Creedmoor would be nice to add to my collection but not worth spend $5000 for rifle, scope and reloading accessories for my self esteem . Please convince me I am wrong and I will buy it, I got the money.

• Bobby Beliawsky says:

I built a nice rifle from a Ruger American Preditor. the stock was cheap crap and the rotary mag left a lot to be desired. I bought a nice Boyds Prarrie Hunter Stock in Pepper Lamiate with beautiful checkering, fore end cap with accent line , grip cap, custom length of pull, upgraded recoil pad., and for my ego, a monogram. inletted a CDi Bottom metal kit with 5 round detachable box magazine.. Glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel, The Ruger action and trigger are first rate for the money. the bolt sounds like a zipper when you cycle the bolt, so I polished it, smooth now. Shoots sub MOA .629″ at
      100 yards. with a decent scope is easily a 500 yard gun. ( it came with a nice scope but I had a Nikon to put on it} My handloads shoot better than factory. It likes the heavier 140 grain HPBT and they are easy to load with IMR4350 . I fully enjoy shooting this gun and its just pretty to look at.

• Bob says:

If you have the money and you want one…. get it. Life is short and you work haed for your toys. All any of we need is ONE super accurate rifle. Its where you hit, not what you shoot.

11. D.Sigea says:

I have noticed more people using the 6.5 Creedmoor round in 600 yard matches. I have no personal experience with it, but there seems to be a lot of interest in the round.

• I personally went from 600 yards to 1200 yards (steel) with my RPR 6.5 CM in two shots. That was because I misjudged the wind velocity on the first shot. I was almost disappointed that I didn’t have to work for it. 140 gr. AMAX bullets do not slow down to terminal velocity until 1450 yards. My Shooter app doesn’t have ELDs yet.

12. Hmmmmm, I wonder if I could neck my 250 Savage up to this and shoot it in my Contender.

13. Chris Booker says:

Thanks for the update on data. I think a lot of these people calling the 6.5CM a fad haven’t been paying much attention. It’s being offered in new rifles by different manufactures every month. It will be here for a good long time! Thanks Sierra, I load your components exclusively and am happy to add the 6.5 to that list!

14. Jeff Walker says:

When can we expect some load data for the 6.5 Grendel? What would really be nice would be a 6.5 120 grain Gameking bullet that would be excellent in my 2 daughters rifles. The 6.5 Grendel and the 260 Remington. Every 6.5 cartridge would benefit from that bullet.

15. Ryan Adkins says:

Yay. 6.5 Creedmore data from Nosler. I had no idea you could load such light weight bullets. Thanks Nosler!!!

16. jingle says:

Sierra, Thank you very much! I have been using the Hodgdon 95gr vmax data due to lack of data for your 85gr 6.5 bullets. Great to have the real data! Did you happen to test H414 or H4895? Wonder how much I’ll lose out of a 20 inch custom Bullberry? Also, do you think its possible to make a 70-75gr 6.5 or would it simply be to short?

17. Ed Engler says:

Thank you for the up dated information on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve been reading all the comments on the Creedmoor and all I can say is my 6.5 isn’t going anywhere but to the range and back into my safe at the end of the day, it’s a keeper.
    I think you guy’s at Sierra are great and so are your products, just wish you would come out with newer loading information covering the latest Hodgdon CFE and IMR Enduron powders for 308 Winchester.

18. bill miller says:

in your load data. you show H4831sc. what does the sc mean?

• Bill – That is Hodgdon’s abbreviation for “short cut”. This powders grain size was reduced to aid in throwing charges with a powder measure and to also help with powder volume within a cartridge case. – Duane Siercks, Ballistic Technician

19. Frank Green says:

Mitchell Maxberry says:
    January 9, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Hey Mitchell! Long time no see or talk! While I agree with what your saying in regards to Camp Perry and the XTC shooters etc…but in the PRS matches the 6.5 Creedmoor is probably the first pick. Then the .260 Rem. and the 6.5×47 Lapua. The Creedmoor being available in box match ammo before the .260 really was I think helped it a ton as well for the guy who didn’t reload. The demand for 6.5mm barrels and from what we see what customers want on fittings the numbers are staggering in terms of demand.

Later, Frank Green
    Bartlein Barrels

• Mitchell Maxberry says:

Hi Frank, your making fantastic barrels keep up the good work.
      Not factored into this is that all of the ammunition; well over 100,000 rds; I used in competition were reloaded by me, not factory loaded. My question and a good one for Sierra as well, is how much factory loaded 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is used in PRS matches ? I suspect that most is re-loaded ammo even though the factory ammo shoots quite well.

There is no substitute for velocity when shooting the same bullets in the same wind, higher velocity means your closer to the target.

• Frank Green says:

Thank Mitchell for the comment on the barrels!

I agree the .260 has a little more muscle and don’t get me wrong I’m not knocking it. I’ve got three rifles with barrels on them in .260 Rem. (two hunting rifles and one PRS rifle). I’m a fan of the .260 and the 6.5 Creedmoor as well. Like what I said and I’m going to say in the last 3-5 years the amount of requests we are seeing for chambered barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor it’s leading the pack. Also the demand for 6.5 Creedmoor test barrels is in way more demand as well over .260 Rem.

Later, Frank