Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data

Barrel Length: 24”
Twist: 1-8’’
Case: Hornady
Trim-to Length: 1.910’’
Primer: Winchester WLR

Remarks:

Developed in 2007 by Dennis DeMille and Dave Emary, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a shortened and improved 30 TC cartridge case that was inspired by the .308 Winchester design.  This short action design was created to maximize case capacity and a wide range of loading lengths, while still fitting in standard short action magazines.  With the correct twist barrel, the versatile 6.5 Creedmoor can take advantage of the wide range of bullet weights available in 6.5mm.  Reloaders should keep in mind that the 6.5 Creedmoor works best with medium to medium-slow powders such as H4350, Varget, Win 760, and RE-17.  The light recoil and adaptability of the efficient 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge has already proven itself in high power, precision rifle series and benchrest competitions.  Couple that with respectable barrel life and its intrinsic accuracy potential and you have a recipe for success which should insure its legacy for decades to come.

1-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

2-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-dataINDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

3-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data
INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

4a-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-dataINDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

5-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

6-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

7-sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-data

INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

This entry was posted in Reloading and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data

1. Pingback: Sierra | Sierra Bullets 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data |

2. Joey Garren says:

My .260 will do ever thing I need it to do, don’t think I’ll swap it fer a creedmore. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fine round, but my .260 is bout 100-120 fps faster, and don’t think it could get any more accurate. My lil .260 dang near one holes @ 100 yards with Sierra 140gr Gamekings!!! With Matchkings it’s awesome @ 600 yards, less than 1 1/2″.

3. I agree with Joey. My last national records were with the 6.5X08, 260 Rem. The intent for the Creedmoor was to reduce the case capacity of the 260 rem and allow the bullet to be seated out further in the case and still be with in the 2.800 max OAL of the magazine. While it did both of these it now needs to use faster powders and higher pressures to do what the 260 was already doing. All of this was for XTC but the issue of recoil was diminished as new and lighter bullets came on the market and load it to the recoil level you want in the 260 there’s no difference. Now that Camp Perry is no longer the Mecca for the NRA National Championships and the dwindling numbers over the last several years the Creedmoor cartridge will enjoy the lime light for a small period of time before it flickers out. I wish Dennis and David all the best but the niche market it was intended for is now gone.

• Alan Lisitano says:

Mitchell, it is being used for the PRS series. I think it’s the go to cartridge from what I can tell. The 6 mm is also a large choice.

4. Clint Haight says:

Great job on the 6.5!
    Now we could use 25-45 Sharps data!
    Patiently waiting😀

5. Ron says:

Will you be publishing this as an update to your reloading manual, if so, I need 2 of them.

6. Ron says:

P.S. thanks very much.

7. J Maritin says:

Those velocities with the 140 grain bullet compare well with my actually chronographed 7×57 Mauser 29″ barrel velocities…. Chronographed ‘in Summer 2016″ 140 grain 7×57 2680 fps with H-4831 at a less than maximum charge of 48 grains… >>My real world gun performs as shown in 50th Anniversery Sierra Manual<<

That is an impressive little 6.5 …. It Sends 140 grain bullet at Close to 7×57 Mauser with 29" barrel performance ….from a 24" test barrel in a Universal Receiver…. WOW !
    6.5 Creedmoor Seems to be right on par with 6.5×55 Swede Mauser performance.

Test barrel in fixed receiver NON-Semi-auto is one thing….
    I wonder how much speed it "loses" or "actually achieves" in a typical AR-Carbine.

8. Marc B says:

Is this the first time you have published and addendum to the 5th ed. Manual? I don’t recall ever seeing a release like this before, and now I am wondering if there is any additional load data that I am missing out on.

I am in favor of releasing new cartridge loads on your site rather than publishing new editions of the manual for only minor changes like Hornady and Lyman have been doing. Keep up the good work.

9. Steve Grazaitis says:

I doubt this cartridge will flicker out. Savage would not have introduced it in their new AR platform if they thought that. Like the 6PPC, it may be the perfect case capacity for the .264 diameter bullet. Hunting is where this cartridge really shines. No noise, no kick. Just dead critters. Kinda sounds like my first love affair, the .250 Savage. It is, what we 250 hunters wanted. A 120 grain bullet at 2800 and pressures kept in check, An option of a heavier bullet if we decide to tackle Black Bear or Elk.