So I Might Be A Redneck . . .

Written by Sierra Bullets Ballistic Technician Gary Prisendorf

The other day I was flipping through channels and saw an old re-run of a Jeff Foxworthy standup comedy show.

Redneck wall.inddOne of his jokes was, “If you open up your Christmas gift and head to the shooting range, you might be a redneck.” Well I have to admit I am guilty as charged.

When I think of past Christmases, there has usually been something firearms related under the tree, and more than one Christmas has involved a trip to the shooting range.

One Christmas really came to mind. When I was 15 years old, I remember staring at a present with my name on it for several weeks. It was propped up against the wall behind all of the other presents. It sure looked like it could be a gun box, but I didn’t know for sure. I didn’t dare touch it or shake it and see if I could figure out what it was, because dad told me if I messed with it he would take it back to the store.

Finally after all the anticipation, Christmas morning arrived and it was time to open presents. My older brother Tim was in charge of passing out the presents as I patiently waited to shred the paper off of my mystery present. Of course I had to open up all the other presents first; you know the routine, a new shirt, a ten pack of socks, the five pack of underwear.

Then it was time, right there on my lap, I could tell by the weight and the feel of it that it was a gun. I remember trying not to look too childish as I slowly unwrapped it, fighting the temptation to shred the paper off at record speed. And there it was, my first rifle, a Marlin model 60, semi automatic 22 LR.

garys-first-22-lr-gun
Within minutes I had my shoes and coat on and was headed out to an open field behind our house where I blasted every empty can I could dig out of the trash.

That old Marlin and I went on many adventures and I wish I had a nickel for every rabbit, squirrel and bullfrog I shot with it. For most of its life it ran on a steady diet of Winchester Wildcats because the little General Store down the street only carried the one brand at a whopping .89 cents a box.

I still have the rifle today and it is still a pretty good shooter, but I bet the micro grooved riflings are probably a little worn.

I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and I hope when you open up your presents this year you have a reason to throw on a coat and head straight to a shooting range!

This entry was posted in Hunting Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to So I Might Be A Redneck . . .

1. Duncan Robbie says:

Nice story!

2. DAVID RUPPEL says:

I’ve never got a firearm for Christmas but I have got lots of firearms related gifts.
    Merry Christmas to all you folks at Sierra Bullets and have a Happy New Year!

3. Dennis Cattanach says:

My Christmas present when I was about 5 was a Daisy Rider BB gun. Been hooked since.

Liked by 2 people

4. Tim powell says:

Wow. Your experience at 15 years old was identical (Marlin glenfield 60, with the squirrel on the stock) to mine only I think I was 13 or 14. My father checked that gun every time I brought it back to the house to make sure it was unloaded and on safety. A few years later it was a Marlin 30-30. I still have both, although they show the abuses of youth, they still get used today. That 30-30 was $125 brand new.

5. John Anderson says:

My Grandpa believed in VERY early firearms education and taught me to shoot with a pellet rifle before I was 4 years old (no kidding!).
    I had just turned five in 1962 and for Christmas that year I got…..Grandpa’s old Marlin Bolt Action .22! It looked rough with varnish peeling off here and there, faded bluing and the safety was gone, but to me it was beautiful! BTW, I shot my first Grouse, Duck and Pheasant in the fall of 1963 with Mom’s old .410 shotgun (still have both guns) and hunting/target shooting was and always will be a big part of my life. My kids grew up the same way and one of our traditions is that it isn’t Christmas without a box of ammo in the stocking!
    Now I’m retired and have given back for 25 years teaching Firearms Safety and Hunter Ed for the State of Minnesota and can’t imagine life any other way.
    LOVE your bullets too and our family has taken tours there twice and recommend a visit to anyone who shoots. Keep up the great work and my family will keep buying SIerra!

John Anderson
    Birchwood, Minnesota

6. harrison beasley says:

My first Christmas firearm was a Remington pump 22 s. l. & lr. on Dec25 1959.I was 12 yrs old and it was ALL aluminum except for some steel parts inside. A guy at Remington told me several years ago that they never made an aluminum 22. When I inquired as to his age we figured out ,I recieved the gun about 8 yrs befor he was born. My grandaughter was just married, both her and hubby are avid hunters and I told her that 22 goes to her first child ( boy or girl ) from their GREAT GRANPA. I hope I am around to meet him or her.