Bob Ruder’s Old Browning Mauser 22-250

Written by Sierra Bullets Customer Bob Ruder

Bob Ruder Rifle 1950s

Bob Ruder (age 24) with his custom 22-250 assembled in 1965.

I started this rifle in 1965 and traded it for bow hunting equipment in 1969.  The extra money financed a bow hunting trip to CO. (I did get a small buck.)  The rifle was traded in at a small country hardware store in St. Louis county, and the owner never sold it, but put in his massive gun cabinet.

I moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, and this old guy knew a friend of mine and asked if I would be interested in buying back my old rifle.  That was in 1988, and I jumped at the chance.  He sold the Unertal 20X scope off of it and replaced with a Weaver k10, which I sold for the Simmons I set on 21X power.  The rifle was not fired from 1969 till almost 1990!

Bob Ruder Rifle3

Circa 1990

The even crazier part of this is I am left handed as you will note on the old photo. I fashioned the cheek piece on the old Herter’s semi-inleted stock blank for left-hand shooting.  I started shooting lefty at 8 years old till age 69 or 70.  I developed a serious left-eye problem and had to learn to right-handed at age 70 after 62 years shooting lefty.

Bob Ruder Rifle2Bob Ruder Rifle1

I refinished the stock in 2014 and removed that left-handed cheek piece.

Bob Ruder Rifle4

2014 – Herters Stock, Browning Mauser large ring action, barreled by Flaigs in PA. 26″ 1-14 twist, Timney Trigger, glass bedded free-floating barrel, Tubb lightweight firing pin and new spring. All barrel and action by others– all stock work done by myself.

I shot very little till about 2011, so you can see how this rifle is still a “tack driver” 50 years after I finished it!  The targets below were shot after I learned to shoot right-handed.  I shoot only Sierra 52 gr. HPBT MatchKing bullets #1410, since they give me no reason to change.

Bob Ruder Targets

This entry was posted in Reloading, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Bob Ruder’s Old Browning Mauser 22-250

1. Pingback: Bob Ruder’s Old Browning Mauser 22-250 | Rifleman III Journal

2. Paul says:

Great story, made got my morning off to a good start.

3. Roger Estes says:

This is my ‘go to’ email. When I first see the Sierra email I ignore the rest and read this first. Its always a learning experience.
    I enjoyed Mr Ruder’s example shooting perseverance.
    Roger Estes

Liked by 2 people

4. robin baye says:

Looks like a winning combination !

It is a wonderful story and having the photos to accompany it make it all the better!
    Miss some of the cool stuff one could get from Herters and the catalog was a wonderful mixture of some great and not so great items.

Brings back a lot of memories! Thanks Bob and Sierra. 🙂

6. Jim Laviana says:

Great shooting! what load are you using?

7. Mike Ruder says:

Alright, nice work there Bob! 🙂 🙂

8. DAVID RUPPEL says:

Great story! That rifle is one accuate old Mauser. Congrates!
    I wish I could get my first hunting rifle back. .303 Enfield, but I have no clue where it is.

Liked by 2 people

9. Bob Wright says:

What a great story! I love my 22-250 shooting 55 gr. HPBT Sierra’s. Congrats on finding an old friend.

10. Larry Randall says:

Great article, all your notes are great keep up the good work, I have been shooting .55 grain
    blitzking in my Rock River, Fred Eichler predator rifle and it is very, very good !
    Thanks , Larry Randall , Western , Kansas

11. Dennis Smith says:

Very good article, thank you. Interesting history to that rifle labor of love. Why the reference to Browning Mauser?

• Robert Ruder says:

Hi Dennis,
      At the time in 1965, I worked in a grocery store and I would cash a paycheck for a Browning employee each week. Of course when not busy, we would talk guns, etc. I mentioned something about building a .22-250 and he said he had a like new Browning 98 style Mauser laying around the shop he could sell me. This action was awesome looking and even had gold color scroll work engraved on the floor plate.
      One must remember that in ’65 there was no Internet and at that time I did not know Remington was developing, or had the 22-250 cartridge on the market. (Same thing for the factory rifle).
      I would probably have done the same thing even if I knew there was a rifle and factory ammo on the market. I also hand loaded my ammo ever since.
      Thanks for your reply and the question too!!
      Bob

12. Robert Ruder says:

For Dennis,
    I forgot the word “ACTION” and that is all I got from the guy at Browning. I had it barreled at Flaigs in Pennsylvania ……. and I am sure they are not in business now. I did a search and did not find them.
    bob