Are You a Gun Nut?

Written by Sierra Bullets Ballistic Technician and Resident Gun Nut Gary Prisendorf

Have you ever been referred to as a “gun nut”?  Well I have, but I never really took it as in insult.

Gun NutI enjoy firearms, I love shooting, hunting, reloading, collecting guns, working on them, and I’m probably one of the few people on earth that even enjoys cleaning them.

But I don’t believe that makes me a nut.

People collect everything from Beanie Babies to Harley Davidsons.  If a collector has several hundred old coins or six dozen pocket knives, does that make them a nut?

Not in my opinion.  We are all individuals with different interests, it’s what we enjoy doing and it gives us something to be proud of and passionate about.

A couple of weeks ago, while shopping with my wife at our local Wal-Mart, I made my weekly pilgrimage over to the sporting goods section to look at the guns.  A short while later my wife showed up and asked me, “Don’t you have enough guns?”

Well I started really thinking about that and wondered just how many guns are enough guns?

I thought, well I need a shotgun, a deer rifle, a 22 rifle, a 22 handgun, at least one magnum revolver, a concealed carry gun, a muzzleloader, you get the idea, the list just kept getting bigger and bigger.

Then the answer hit me.  It’s rather simple really.

When I have one of every firearm ever made, that is probably enough.

But then again, wouldn’t it be neat to have a matching set?

52 Responses to Are You a Gun Nut?

1. DAVID RUPPEL says:

I am still working on getting one of every gun I NEED. Then I will start getting all the guns I just WANT.

2. Frank says:

Actually guns are like golf clubs, I certainly wouldn’t take a woody into a sandpit….Or wood I?

3. Pingback: Are You a Gun Nut? — Sierra Bullets | Rifleman III Journal

4. My father, after a three-year, all-expenses-paid hunting trip in North Africa and Europe circa 1942-1945 didn’t feel the need to own any. The one he brought home, he gave to his brother and, to my knowledge, he never fired a gun again.

I, on the other hand, have always felt that I could “get by” with a shotgun, a .22 and a deer rifle. I was wrong. Those three guns have become many, many more than I need or can possibly be proficient with.

5. cover says:

Nice! I once owned more than 40 rifles and a number of handguns. I’ve never had any interest in shotguns. Now I am down to about 10 rifles but I sometimes feel like buying a few more. Yes, I have been called a gun nut! And it didn’t worry me a bit.
    Chris

6. When my wife asks me if I need any more “guns” I always respond with…”Just one more”.

7. Jim roberts says:

Hmmm! matching set,maybe an 8 place setting!!!!!

8. Daryl says:

I’m a semi retired tool and die maker and an avid do it yourself mechanic (no 10 minute oil changes in this house and I look at owning multiple firearms like owning precision tools or mechanics tools, your toolbox never has ‘enough’, Same applies for firearms… you never have enough

Don’t know how many I own, but I have a load of ’em.

9. Mike P says:

Whenever my wife asks why I need another gun, I ask why she needs another pair of shoes. Does the trick.

“But then again, wouldn’t it be neat to have a matching set?”
    Exactly!!!
    Not such thing as a “gun nut”, just enthusiast! LOL 🙂

11. Bill Case says:

Please, don’t ever stop making your 120 gr. HP I use for my 25-06 Rem. It is a one shot killer, White tale deer (east& west ) plus Wyoming Mule deer all one shot kills and not one step after Being hit. Super bullet or I should say SIERRA BULLET!!! I am sold on 7mm and 338 billets, also. THANK YOU SIERRA JOB WELL DONE. Bill Case, billcase73@morrisbb.net

Sent from my iPad

12. Dennis Cattanach says:

There are two of us

13. Steven says:

That’s sounds about right

14. Jeff Pennington says:

I own a bolt action .308, an AR15, 2 12g shotguns, a lever action .30/30 (my current favorite). A .50 caliber muzzleloader. 2 semi auto pistols (9mm & .40s&w). 1 .44cal muzzleloader pistol (Confederate style). 3 compound bows and one crossbow. I got all I need but I’m sure eventually I will get more. Proudly yes I’m a gun nut.

15. Jim Peters says:

Gary I too enjoy just cleaning my guns though not as much as shooting them. As far as having to many guns or being a gun nut it will never happen as long as I have room to keep buying safes to store them then again, I guess when that happens I’ll need a bigger house

16. Ron Stephens says:

No argument but I prefer “firearms enthusiast” or “firearms collector”.

Liked by 2 people

17. David Ruppel says:

It always come down to ” So many guns, and Not enough Money”

• So true! – Gary

• Daryl says:

That is a fair statement. This is a very expensive hobby, unlike 60 years ago. I typically pay well above 3 grand for a custom rifle and then add in the optics and you have a good down payment on a new car.

I wanted a pair of Swaro EL’s for the longest time but I could not justify the cost to my wife (she is, after all 1/2 the equation. I lucked out and found a used pair in mint condition. A quick trip to Swaro for cleaning and alignment (they are guaranteed against everything for life and that’s transferable) netted me a fantastic pair of bino’s ……finally.

18. You can say gun nut I like rifle smith retired made several rifles and modifide several even made 3 from scratch between you and me YES. I love getting my weapons accurate sub cal or tighter.

19. david says:

I was told today that the perfect amount of guns to own is “one more” and until I reach that amount I shouldn’t worry about having to many.

P.S. I like cleaning them also. Occasionally I’ve annoyed people who have hitched a ride with me to the range because I refuse to leave before I clean all the weapons I’ve fired and at the very least run a patch through any I’ve brought along but didn’t fire

–Not firing a weapon I’ve brought to the range normally only happens when I’m being picked on by those same hitchhikers who always seem to say things like “Let’s go eat, We’ve been here 4 (or 5 or 6) hours already. It’s long enough, I want to leave.”
    Damn whiners, this is why I don’t bring many people to the range.

• Daryl says:

The solution is, of course, to own your own private range which is what I have. Not everyone can, I realize that because of space constraints but I can and do. There are some great plans for shooting benches online as well as bunkers and bullet traps.. I shoot into 5 lineal feet of clay berm 10 feet high backed with double thickness sheets of 1/4″ high strength steel. Nothng ever penetrates the steel, not even a 50 BMG round fired at distance. I use a portable target board and set my yardages with a rangefinder. I can shoot out to 300 yards if need be.

Nice thing about having a private range is you can discriminate (terrible word) about who shoots and who don’t and you can take your time with load development or just go out and have some fun… at your convenience. An added plus id my reloading room/area is mere steps from the bench so load workups and adjustments can be done quickly and on the spot.

Needless to say, I have quite a few ‘friends’ who want to use my facility but I’m extremely selective about who shoots and when. After all, it’s on my private property and I’m the boss, totally..

For years I shot at a club range and public ranges and it was always a hassle, always someone nosing in, asking questions and distracting me. I eliminated all that. Now, it’s just me (when I want it to be just me) and no interruptions or distractions.

Always safety first on my range, nor horseplay and gun etiquette is strictly followed plus hearing and eye protection is mandatory… or you don’t shoot, period.

I set it up for all disciplines, from bow to handgun to shotgun / slug gun to BP to medium long range rifle.

All it takes is room and the desire not to be interrupted.

• You could say that I love working on my guns and that of my relatives and friends, Not for strangers that I do not know. I will give them pointers on what to do but that is their guns and their responsibility.

• david says:

I’m actually building a small range on my property.

My plan is to expand the drive in front of my pole barn in order to create a larger vehicle turning area and at the same time make a better target area at the end of the drive.

Right now I’ve got some targets set up fairly close to where the end of the drive is going to be, I’m using the side of a mountain as my backstop.

It works fairly well, however changing or resetting targets is a pain as I have to climb over a small ditch, and then walk up a slight incline on uneven ground. – I don’t do as well on uneven ground as I used to – bad knees.

This summer I need to get around to plowing up the ground, flattening it, and setting some culvert in the ditch. I’m thinking that I might use some of the dirt I plow up to make a slightly better backstop also.

In bad weather or when I just want to stay out of the sun, I raise the large garage door on my pole barn and set up my shooting bench (actually just a folding table I rebuilt and beefed up) inside the door. Works fine.

• Daryl says:

David: The minimum target distance (from bench to target board) is 100 yards, simply because most load workup’s are based on a 100 yard benchmark. Myself, because I tend to hunt greater distances, use typically a 200 yard or 250 yard target to develop groups, but 100 is sufficient and most ballistics programs (for calculating bullet drop use the 100 benchmark. Of course you need a chronograph for velocity, I use a Euhler myself but any will suffice.

I like the longer bench to target distances because getting a rifle to group sub moa at 200 or 250 almost always equates to bug holes at 100.

The issue of seeing the imprints in the paper at that distance does entail good optics, both on the rifle and on a tripod (for your spotter.

Once I get my rifles ‘dialed in’ at distance’ I use one of the many ballistics programs available (Sierra has one available) and extrapolate the bullet drips at various yardages out to the maximum the particular caliber is capable of humanely killing at, I print that, reduce it in size and it gets taped to my buttstock or sealed in plastic as a range to target card.

When I’m hunting, I range the animal (with a rangefinder) of course and refer to chart for drop and dial my scope accordingly.. of course that means my scope has easily adjustable turrets, which they all do.’adjust my ‘side focus (parallelax), allow for wind (which causes ‘spin drift’ or bullet yaw at distances over 300 yards), and take my shot. I use a Kestrel wind meter to gage wind velocity and some guesswork….

Keep in mind that most north american large game animals have an ample kill zone. Whitetails are 12-14 ” and elk is 15-20″. of course smaller the game the smaller the kill zone is and the more precise you have to be.

Know your rifle’s capabilities, that is, the maximum distance you can confidently shoot at, as well as the maxximum capable kill distance. You don’t want to be using, say, a 308 for taking a thick skinned game animal at distances over 500 yards, you’ll wind up wounding the animal and chasing it over hill and dale and maybe never finding it.

I hold all my shots to 500 or less, no matter what caliber I’m shooting. Hunt and stalk is just as much fun as the kill.

Have fun…

20. I thought .308 was the best but then 7 mm doesn’t go subsonic till,, and what about 6.5×284 . We are all scientists furthering human knowledge for the greater good of all. We owe it to humanity to get one of each and test our hypotheses. I have been target shooting for 58 years non professionally, and only use sierra bullets. I tried others early on and have been disappointed when it mattered most. if I do my home work and my math a sierra reload does it every time.

21. I am spoiled like Daryl and have a 330 yd range I dont share at all

• Daryl says:

One thing about sharing is, it’s nice to have another person on the spotting scope calling out trajectories when dialing in for windage and elevation. Sure beats getting up and sitting down again and loosing your shooting position. I shoot from a Caldwell Fire Control double rest, which takes most of the positioning guesswork out of the equation but, better to remain in one position and assume the same cheek weld and forestock grip to be consistent.

22. Daryl says:

I share mostly with the group I hunt with. All are expert shooters. You have to be on a paid for hunt where it’s one shot (maybe 2) to kill. I’m the designated load builder, no one in the group shoots factory loads because they won’t attain the accuracy we need at distance. It’s my job to take the rifle and get the most out of it, both accuracy and velocity wise.

I know, it’s been said many times before to never shoot loads that someone else loaded. In this case, I do load workups and initial shooting of everyone’s rifles. Only when I have attained my goal do I turn over the rifles to their owners to use for hunting.

I’ll typically load one box of 50 at a time. That is it. 50 lasts a couple seasons. We don’t go out to shoot, just to shoot. Get ’em dialed in and they become safe queens until hunt time.

Pistols and small calibers are different, those, we shoot for fun, The big stuff is just for killing game.

One of my all time favorite 44 RM bullets is the 240 Sierra Sportsmaster. I’ve taken Michigan Whitetails with my 44 Smith out to 100 yards no issue. I’m looking hard at a 460 Smith XVR with a 14″: barrel. Capable of taking any North American game animal including Grizzly and Elk and pretty fair distances.

I’ll probably be adding one to my collection this year.

Not sure if Sierra produces a 460 pill (45 caliber) in sufficient weight, but I’ll have a look see. My Sierra bullet chart hangs above the reloading bench.

23. David Ruppel says:

I to have my own range. I can shoot to 1000 yards. I live in the middle of no where in the high desert. It’s great for working up loads and just steping outside to test them. Beng able to control who shoots on it and who doesn’t is great.

• Confirmation Section says:

Quit sending this kind of notice I am a retired rifle smith NOT LISTED AS A GUN NUT got that.

Then modify your subscription! You subscribed to this, so take some responsibility, instead of whining.
        Most of us really enjoy the humor, information and general sharing from the hard working staff of Sierra!!

Liked by 2 people

• David Ruppel says:

You are 100% right firstriverbend! Political Correctness is ruining this great county and we sure don’t need it coming to this great site! I would think everyone knows the difference between gun nuts stated here and gun nuts that use them for evil. Thanks for stepping up and saying something firstriverbend!

Liked by 2 people

24. Andrew Duffy says:

My wife and I are down to 47 guns in total between us now, this is a lot in a country ( the UK ) where they are either banned or licenced. We had more before they banned handguns here. We have an assortment of handguns ( the ones we can still own i.e. muzzle loading ), rifles and shotguns so I suppose that makes us both ‘gun nuts’ and happy to be so.

You can never have too many guns and remember that you can never have too much ammunition unless you are on fire or drowning.

Keep up the good work Sierra.

Andy D.

25. S O says:

Thank you, i will need to use your response to your wife when mine asks me how many are enough. I am on my second S&W 500, my 3rd will be with a 4″ Barrel. 1 is not enough and neither is 2.

26. I like ‘gun nut’ about as well as I like ‘Bible thumper’, but one supposes one qualifies as both. My collection is not as big as some, but bigger than many and growing.

As for how many: I have a rule about how many guns or books I own. As long as I have space to put another, I don’t have “enough”.

I have Sierra loading manuals from #5 or so. I select bullets depending on arm. I tend to favor heavier bullets, having read lots of Elmer Keith as a young man.

27. Larry Koenig says:

If you know how many guns you have, you don’t have enough!