Ask A Bulletsmith – How old were you when you started hunting?

Hunting with DadWe asked a few handy Sierra Bullets Bulletsmiths “How old were you when you started hunting?” Check out their answers below and please let us know in the comments how old you were when you started hunting.

Media Relations Manager Carroll Pilant“Nine”

Ballistic Technician Rich Machholz “I followed my dad to the duck blind when I was about 8.  I started duck hunting with a full choke M42 Winchester .410 when I was about 10.  I couldn’t even see out of the blind, so I had to wait until the ducks were right on top of me!”

Ballistic Technician Philip Mahin –“It was just a few years after the folks moved to the new place that I was hunting and shooting rabbits with a BB gun. I had to be around 10 or 11 years old at the time. It wasn’t until I was 24 that I took my first whitetail deer, but it has been a feeding frenzy ever since.”

Ballistic Technician Duane Siercks – “I actually got my first rifle at 4 years old and when I was six Dad would let me squirrel hunt in the big patch of timber out behind the house. I followed Dad coon hunting from the time I was five.”

Ballistic Technician Paul Box – “Eight”

Chief Ballistician Tommy Todd – “Seven”

VP – Sales & Marketing Matt Reams – “I am not sure, probably 7-8?  I went along even when I was younger, but not sure when I got to start packing a rifle.  My father and his brother were huge rabbit hunters and we went every weekend and even some weekdays after school.  I never remember not hunting.”

Production Toolsetter Brad Vansell – “Started hunting with my father at the age of 12.”

Ballistic Technician Gary Prisendorf – “My father took me squirrel hunting at 6 yrs. old and I shot my first squirrel.”

Production Manager Chris Hatfield – Started hunting when I was 13 with my Dad.”

Machine Shop Supervisor Craig Westermier –8 years old.”

Production Resource Manager Dan Mahnken – Started hunting squirrel and rabbit at age 11 or 12. Was hunting deer at 16.”

This entry was posted in Competitive Shooting, Hunting Stories and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Ask A Bulletsmith – How old were you when you started hunting?

Started hunting with my dad very early, maybe 4. Started shooting squirrels when I was 8. By the time I was 10 most of the deer shot were by me in my dad’s hunting parties. Too often too much drinking, something I never approved of, but at least I was able to harvest a lot of game for all of them. They also realized I was the best shot in the group.
    My daughter would go hunting with me when she was 4, and a couple of years later started shooting too. We never did any drinking but always had great times! I changed a number of the poor practices of my dad and his friends to much safer and saner ones.
    Good times back then. 🙂

2. Pingback: Ask A Bulletsmith – How old were you when you started hunting? — Sierra Bullets | Rifleman III Journal

3. Daryl Davis says:

I didn’t start hunting until I was 55 so I have a lot of catching up to do. I worked basically 7 days a week, every week so no time. I retired at 55 and now I hunt every year out west or on my property in northern Michigan. Out west hunting demands a stout wallet so being retired and financially secure… I can afford it as well as the custom built sticks that go along with long range hunting. Too bad my eyes aren’t as good as they once were, but quality optics like Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski help a lot.

I’ve owned firearms since I was 18 but never had the time (to hunt). Was always something else to deal with.

I enjoy building sub moa/mil long range loads as much as taking animals. To that end I built a private range so I can play, when I want.

Liked by 2 people

4. Jim Laviana says:

Started with a BB gun at age 8, graduated to a .22 around 14 and center fire at 17.

5. Erdyalx says:

It’s hard to say, but very young. My Dad took us through a hunting apprenticeship before we could legally hunt big game in Oregon at age 12. So I’m assuming small game started around 6-8 years old. He used small critters as part of his training.

Liked by 2 people

6. DAVID RUPPEL says:

I started squirrel hunting when I was about 11. But because my dad wasn’t a deer hunter I never hunted deer until I was 18. Been at it ever since adding elk, bear, cougar, and coyotes.

Liked by 2 people

7. A HUNTER AND ALSO A RELOADER I STARTED SO EARLY THEY USED TO SAY THE HOLSTER WAS LONGER THAN MY LEGS IT WAS ALSO THE TIME WHEN I COULD SEE MY FATHER AND GRANDFATHER HUNTING TOGETHER , HAPPY DAYS HAPPY MEMORIES

8. born again happy man says:

my twin brother and I started following Dad and (old blue) the blue tick squirrel dog when we were about 5. squirrel hunted with a .410 at about 12. I got my 1st whitetail at 19. I was hooked at 5. Dad Brother, and old blue are all gone. I am now 67 and only hunt white tails. I sure miss the good old days. I wonder if Dad Brother and old blue ever get together and chase the squirrels.

9. Ken James England says:

I can beat all of these I started at 4 when my grandfather & father took me out.
    Ken James ENGLAND

10. Christian Sportsmen of Alabama says:

I started hunting with my dad and grandad at about 5-6 but didnt get to tote a gun until i was about 10. That christmas my dad got me and my brother each a single shot .410 which was still my favorite gun up until it got stolen about a year ago. Took my first deer with it and killed many squirrels and other critters we could put on the table.

11. William says:

Started shooting in Ireland with a model 62 Winchester at 9 years old, my Dad would give me 4 .22 shells and I had better bring something back for each shell, if I shot four, and returned with three rabbits, Wood Pigeons etc,, I only received three shells the next time, it did cause me to make every shot count. I learnt at a very young age that if you could see the tips of a rabbits ears in the grass, and aimed right at the body, the trajectory of the bullet would come in high enough not the get messed up in the grass! I was able to buy a mint condition model Winchester 62A from a priest when I lived on the Yukon River for $100.00 back in 1988 he insisted on that amount, even when I told him it was worth more. I also picked up a mint condition Winchester 42 from him at the same price. Over the years I did help him with donations to his church so I would not feel guilty!

Liked by 2 people