Do You Have Load Data For…..?

Written by Sierra Bullets Ballistic Technician Duane Siercks

We are often asked on the Tech Line if we have data for every conceivable cartridge, bullet, powder combination imaginable. It is not uncommon to hit a snag when trying to find exact component information. We often have to reference other load data sources and try to determine what would be a safe starting place for a given combination. There are always situations where the data may not exist. This requires some extensive background information questions to be asked in order to get enough information to search out an answer. So bear with us as we try to get you the best information we can find. We sometimes have to step away from the desk and phone to grab a resource publication or reference material.

Then there are the easy ones. We have had numerous questions about the new line of Sierra bullets, namely, the Tipped MatchKings® or TMKs. Each of the six bullets that were initially offered were introduced in a weight and caliber where we have an original MatchKing® bullet of the same weight and caliber. We are asked where to find the new load data for the new bullets. This is when we try and help the loader become more familiar with how to really use load data tables. We start off by explaining that we will be using the same load data table as we do for the original MatchKing®. We need to start at the minimum load because there are some differences in the actual profile of the bullets. Then working up in increments that are relative to the case capacity, we then will find that load which performs well in said firearm.

TMK_Reloading_ManualforWP
There is another consideration that needs to be addressed here also – that is the Over-All-Length, or OAL. The new TMK® bullets are longer than the original MatchKings®. If loading to fit a magazine, this forces the bullet to actually be seated deeper into the case. This is another important reason to start at the minimum load. Then by working up incrementally, we can keep our attention on pressure indications, just as we should do with all load work.

Load development is not hard, but it’s not fast either. Remember that safety is the utmost concern. Take your time and work deliberately but carefully. One set of components at a time in an uncluttered environment.  Too many times we have heard someone say,”Load data is reduced, so we always start at the max.” That simply is not true and we want to discourage anyone from making that mistake.

We certainly want to help you with any load development questions you may have. If ever in doubt, call us and ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions @ 1-800-223-8799!

This entry was posted in Reloading and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to Do You Have Load Data For…..?

1. Mike says:

Hello

You sell 140gr 6.5mm bullets to a well-known customer that resells them as part of a fire-lapping system. Can you provide me with load data (reduced/starting load) for using this 140gr bullet in the 6.5 Grendel? Thank you kindly.

2. mario p carrasco says:

Do you have load data for your 8mm 175gr spt? I was thinking of using IMR 4064. What would be a good starting load and OAL? Im shooting a k98 manufactured in 1944 so .323 diameter is correct.

3. Thomas M. Sherrin says:

I have a modern Savage Mod. 14 bolt action in 250 Savage. I was wondering if Sierra has done any Load Data for the newer rifles? All the info that I can find is on the original Mod 99. I also have one of those in the take down style year 1915. I would appreciate it if someone would do some work up on the new model upto and including the 117 grain bullet. Thank you.
    Thomas Sherrin

4. Ross Pritchard says:

Please can you give me load data for the 6.5x47lapua using a 140gn matchkings bullet
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Ross Pritchard

5. Mike says:

Hello

6. John Hinz says:

Does the Sierra Load Manual have data for the Ackley Improved versions of 6.5×55 and 7×57? I’m rechambering a modern CZ in 6.5 and building a new 7×57 and would prefer using established load data to start from.

7. Mike says:

Can you provide load data (reduced/starting load) for using the 140gr bullet in 6.5 Grendel? Thank you.

• Norge says:

I would seriously rethink your desire to use 140gr bullets in the Grendel. The simple facts are thus; The Grendel was meant to function in AR-15 actions, therefore overall length of the cartridge limits the amount of powder it can hold, and Alexander Arms, after extensive ballistic testing determined that the 120-123 gr bullets offered the best ballistics within the constraints of the cartridges powder capacity. With the short neck of the Grendel, and the need to keep overall length within the maximum 2.255″ oal, a 140gr. projectile must be seated so deep into the case that powder capacity is seriously degraded. Further complicating this issue, one would have to be very careful to NOT compress the powder load with this ‘heavy for cartridge’ bullet, as it would be very easy to exceed the 45,000 psi MAP (max. avg. pressure) of the AR-15 platform, which generally results in serious, if not fatal, consequences. Thus, many manufacturers are most hesitant to even give load data for 140 gr. bullets in the Grendel. Not to mention, that the loss of powder capacity, and the large decrease in velocity for the heavier 140 gr. bullet, will so seriously degrade the performance of the cartridge as to make it quite useless for any practical applications. If you wish to load the 140 gr. bullets anyway, you are, at least, now aware of the potential downfalls you may encounter.

• Mike says:

Loud and clear. Agreed and understood that the 140gr bullet falls outside the design intent for the 6.5 Grendel, and wouldn’t offer advantage to a shooter. I asked, because a vendor that sells fire lapping kits for barrel break-in suggested that I look for starting data here’s as they purchase their bullets from Sierra, and onclude the 140gr pills in their 6.5 kits. In this instance, the idea is to launch a couple dozen bullets at minimum load velocities into a sand berm, clean the bore, and then probably never do it again. Not for hunting or etc.

8. DAVID SMITH says:

do you have loading data for .40 s&w? thanks

9. ian says:

HI I HAVE AN OLD EDITION V RELOADING DISC AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE DATA ON THE 308WIN SIERRA 165G HBPT(2140) USING EITHER VIT 140 VIT 150 VIT 160. AS I CAN NOT FIND ANY. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

• Norge says:

I am assuming you actually meant HPBT (hollow point, boat tail) instead of HBPT, as I have never heard of such. For the 165gr. HPBT, one may use the same data as for the 168gr hollow-point or soft-nose spitzer style bullets. The 3 gr. difference in weight is so insignificant that there is no discernible variations in pressures. Just stick to the recommended OALs and charges and you’ll be just fine.

10. Derek Demarco says:

Hi do you have any load data for 223 sierra 69 grain tmk using swiss rs40 powder thanks

11. Charles Baumert says:

Please provide to me your reloading data for your new GameKing 6.5 mm 130 grain HPBT bullets.
    Thank you for your help.

12. Gudni Thor says:

Do you have any load data for 6.5mm 130gr TMK. I´m loading for Sako TRG in 260 Rem. Where I live we use mostly Vihtavuori powder.
    Thanks in advance.

13. Norge says:

Greeting Gundi,
    Funny you should ask about that, as the 130 gr. bullet is my favorite choice for the .260 Rem. While so many folks choose the 140 and 120 for a great deal of match shooting, I truly believe that the 130 gr. offers the best of both worlds for hunting. It is highly accurate and resistant to wind drift, shoots just as flat as the 120 gr, (at hunting ranges), penetrates extremely well, and produces DRT (dead right there) results with well placed shots. Over the years these are the loads I have had the best results with, your length of barrel will have much to do with determining velocities.
    I currently am using Win 780 (Supreme) with excellent results, my pet load is 47 gr. of 780, which gives me about 2700 fps. (Start at about 42-43 gr and work up.)
    In the past when available, I had used Norma MRP, and really liked that powder (until it became difficult to acquire and stupid expensive) I used 36 gr. MRP for best accuracy, I can’t recall what the max. load was. MV was right at 2700 fps.
    If all you can get is Viht. powders (which are great, but I have very limited experience with them) I started with 32 gr. of N-140 then worked up to a load of 40 gr. which gave me a bit over 2800 fps if I remember correctly, but was not as accurate as I liked, so I backed off to 38.6 gr. But…. I still didn’t really like the accuracy, so I switched to:
    Trying N-165 with a starting load of 41.5 gr. and worked up to 48 gr, this powder gave me reduced spreads in my velocities and I was happy with the accuracy (for hunting), even at the max. load. Good luck

14. jason says:

any load data for .243 ackley using vit160 serria 100gr spitzers must be deer legal.got some loaded at the moment 45.5gr vit 160 but quick load says 1588flb 2600fps

15. Brian Satterfield says:

I am loading up a ladder test of 165 grain game changer gamekings for my .300 Win Mag using Reloader 19 as the propellant. I cannot find the recommended min-max ranges to work from other that with similar bullets from other manufacturers which give from 71-75 and 75 being a compressed load. I do not want to load a compressed load. 71-74 perhaps but I wanted to get your advice. Much appreciated.