Why Can’t I Find .22 LR Ammunition?!?!?

Written by Sierra Bullets Vice-President of Sales Matt Reams

Even though Sierra BulletQuestionMarks does not make .22 LR ammo or projectiles, we are constantly asked “Why can’t I find any .22 LR ammo anywhere?” Even the conspiracy theorists are at a loss on this one as they can’t even blame it on the government. They toss around thoughts of warehouses full of .22 LR rotting away just to keep it out of their hands, but that does not seem very realistic – even to them.

So what is going on here? Why is it that 1.5 years later, the shelves are still empty and bricks of .22 LR can still be seen selling for upwards of $75-$100 at gun shows? I do not believe there is one answer, but rather a few. Here are my opinions on the matter, for what they are worth.

Hoarders – Some people are piling it away in their basements, garages, bunkers, and under their beds due to fear of not being able to find it again. This is not a huge factor in it, but it is still a factor to some degree. When these hoarders can’t find it on shelves, it only panics them more and causes them to buy even more when they do find it.

Gougers – These are the guys who prey on the fear of the hoarders. These are the guys that wait in line at Wal-Mart at 3 a.m. to buy up the daily allotment that Wal-Mart puts out at normal retail prices and then double or triple their price on the weekend gun show circuit. Again, not a huge factor, but keeping the shelves looking empty which keeps the panic level higher for those that are looking.

Demand – Now we are getting to the real meat of the issue. You hear manufactures say they are running 24/7 on their Rimfire lines which is putting somewhere around 25-30 million rounds PER DAY (estimate on my part from numbers I have heard from the big rimfire guys) into the market – so how can there be a shortage? I have asked this myself – until we start doing even a little basic math. You hear all kind of numbers about how many firearms owners are in the USA, but you hear 70-80 million quite often. So for the sake of us not arguing that number – let’s cut it to 35 million. Do you know a gun owner that does not own at least one firearm chambered in .22 LR? Do you know any that are not looking for .22 LR ammo or would at least buy some if they saw it for normal prices? How many would they buy when they found it? A lot – right? But again, just to keep the argument on the low end, let’s say they would all be satisfied with just a single 500 pack. 35 million multiplied by 500 .22 LR rounds for them all – is 17.5 BILLION rounds. Let that sink in. Even at 25 million rounds being made PER DAY – that is 1.92 years’ worth of production.

Starts making some sense then doesn’t it? Hoarding and panic emptied the shelves. Gougers try and keep them empty and demand does keep them empty. Then factor in that I probably cut the real number of 22 LR shooters in ½ and probably underestimated the amount everyone would buy if they found it at normal prices by 300% and you can see how deep the problem really is and why it is not going to go away tomorrow. It also does not take into account the world market – just the USA.

How will it get better? Slowly. The hoarders will get to a point that they feel they have enough or will run out of money. The shelves will start getting enough on them that the gougers cannot buy it all. This will make people stop paying $50-$75 for a brick at gun shows. That will make it less profitable for the gougers to spend their money on and they will stop. The shelves will start to have product again which will ease people’s fears and get them back to buying what they need today instead of what they need for the decade. There is no fast answer.

Are the manufactures hiring people for extra shifts and adding capacity – sure they are. But it is easy to just expect them to ramp up production overnight to take care of our needs, but that is just not realistic. We get the same thing here. The market certainly has not grown 500% so what happens when companies add all that super expensive equipment when things get back to normal? They take a bath on it for sure and waste capital that they could have used to improve their company in a way that makes them stronger. Instead they just added equipment they may never need again and have to mothball while they lay off workers they no longer need. Not a great way to run a business and not a fair way to treat employees.

We all just have to trust that it will get better, do not buy more than we need and wait it out. It will not get better overnight. It will start out with a box here and there and then a few and then slowly the shelves will get back to having all the supply and selection we picky consumers are accustom to and will certainly appreciate much more than we ever did before……if only for a little while.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

833 Responses to Why Can’t I Find .22 LR Ammunition?!?!?

1. John R Blair Jr says:

The disappearance of 22lr is not hoarding…

“The 22 is an introductory gun for many,,,, or at least was! Their will be a whole generation of kids out there that will not have a 22 experience if this crap keeps up” and there it is; with the gun free (?) America in 30 years agenda the absence of an generation of casual shooters WILL be the antithesis of the GUN culture that will finally end the 2nd amendment and the dwindling peoples that hold on to that useless (much like Religion) freedom!

The current 2014 gun rags are running COVER articles about AIR rifles but, not one (1) on 22lr rifles and they do not seem in the least bit concerned. You will always be able to hurl some sort of projectile maybe just not with FIRE; soooo… DON’T WORRY. However if you are planning a trip to Africa to hunt elephants they will CHEERFULLY tell you that you will always have the opportunity to live a vicarious gun life much like our perfectly satisfied English cousins have respectfully learned to do!

Semper fi
    John

• cd1960 says:

John, you are on it buddy. Calling distributors, they say that 22lr is coming in so
      sporadically that cannot even take back orders. Manufactures have stopped production of the 22lr case. I will tell you why. No 17HM2. The least popular of all rimfire rounds based on 22lr is not available. The man’s numbers are too high. I see 2 months of production could fill shelves if manufacturers were producing, they are not.

2. sallyfudpucker says:

My husband and I where at a BASS PRO 09/28/14 in LAS Vegas couldn’t believe my eyes 22 ammo on shelf was empty I asked about it to the sales guy and he stated that he had a few boxes behind the counter only for those who come there to use their indoor range he then walked around the counter and came back over with two boxes of 22 ammo for me and stated tell CASHER that I had found them on the shelf then he turned back around and grabbed 4 more boxes of 22 ammo and came back over and handed them to me as he went back I seen in his hand a hole case’s of the same 22 ammo that he was tilting out of so I’m telling you this the hordes are the company’s that are the ones that buy the ammo to the consumer ..

• Dennis H. says:

Sally if u go to bass pro, and are first in line, and if your fast on yer feet, you’ll get ammo 2-3 times a week. The majority of their inventory hits the shelf. They hold some back for purchaser’s of rifles and those that shoot at their range, sound business.

3. Dennis H. says:

2 of my local walmarts got a combined shipment this am of: 1 case win m-22, 1 case rem 525 paks, 4 cases of cci mini mags, 5 cases rem 225 paks, and 16 cases of win 222 paks. I got 2,575 rnds. Hope yer gettin yours!

• Jake J says:

Dennis,
      Congrats on finding continued supply. Due to the Ferguson, MO situation, most stores have locked up inventories due to threats of looting or other actions. Hopefully this situation will settle down soon and we can get back to what is considered normal in today’s society. Not currently looking to pick any up as my stock levels are where I want them.

Jake

• rainnmann says:

your the problem!..

• Bruce Frederes says:

I have seen a new package for 22 LR in a NEW BULLET that is SOLD ONCE IN A WHILE ?? I was fortunate to get the LAST one in the area 1000 rounds in one CASE AND CAN NOT FIND ANY MORE THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO GO 1250FPS

4. Bornontheres says:

Hoarders and gougers=OBAMA Lovers, doing just what he wants keeping ammo off the shelves. You guys are idiots! I refuse to to buy 22lr till the price comes down, no sence in supporting OBAMA with gun control!!!!

• al illig says:

My comments concern more than the 22LR. In the last couple of weeks some 22’s have been showing up that are ‘normal’ in brand and pricing. BUT most are the high end target cartridges. Also most are FOREIGN made!
      Components are also scarce to non existent..I have been using Unique powder for probably 50 years, and haven’t seen so much as one pound anywhere in the last two years.All the ads in Gun Digest and Shotgun news have disappeared that used to list various ‘surplus’ or ‘reclaimed’ powders and components . Brass is difficult to find. I have heard that gov’t brass from ranges is now chopped up and sold to the chinese at a fraction of what it would bring here in reloadable condition. This would seem to indicate that ‘something’ is at work other than market supply and demand.
      Draw your own conclusions!

• Zbigniew says:

I haven’t seen Unique, either. All you can find is stuff that is so slow burning it’s essentially worthless, such as powder for the .50 BMG.

• Zbigniew says:

When have you seen any .22 ammo on a store shelf TO buy without conducting a massive search first?

• Dennis H. says:

Lol!

5. John R Blair Jr says:

YES! “‘something’ is at work other than market supply and demand” and the peons will not be privileged to it until it is to late! Forty dollars per brick of 500 22lr from B&M if only by/or hook and crook; or the same price all day long online and consequently registered should give you some pause as to what just may be happening.
    Simper fi
    John

• Dennis H. says:

Still hittin walmart 3-4 times/month for the new normal price $22-$27/550 rnd boxes. $15/brick 22 ammo is a thing of the past. U should have bought it then!

6. Pingback: Prepper Zippo Manufacturing Address | Extreme Survival Guide

7. Bruce says:

I have seen pallets of THUNDERBOLT 22LR at FIELD& Stream store at 26.99 for a brick of 22LR
    and they had already sold 2 pallets full of 22LR ammuntion

8. my dam squirrels are having a field-day. I think they’re smarter then the hoarding fools out there in imaginary land, I know of a couple nuts who have stockpile thousands of rounds, all I need is a couple boxes’ of 22 shorts to thin the herd out. What
    a sorry situation these nut jobs have caused…

• Dennis H. says:

Anybody that really wants 22 ammo can get it. Cabelas had 300 rnd paks of cci mini mags on line for $25 this am. Walmarts are gettin it 4-5 times a month. Gotta try a little bit fellas!

• Dennis, you’re absolutely right. If people want 22lr they need to exert the necessary time and money to do so. Every time I go to a Walmart I check for 22lr and 22 mag. Every so often I get lucky and score. Last weekend I scored 3 boxes of Federal 325s. I know it can be frustrating but it really comes down to being persistent. Actually my kids and I have made a bit of a game out of it.

Thanks Roger C.

• Ben Hogan says:

While that is very true, it does not need to be that way. It is only that way by the actions of a few that have manipulated the market for personal gain

• Zbigniew says:

I’m not into games. There is no reason on Earth why buying .22 ammo should be such a challenge that it can be construed as a ‘game.’ If you like searching for scarce-as-hens-teeth ammo, then you’d really like the Russian bread lines of old. Wouldn’t that be fun? Is that where we’re headed?

Dennis–FWIW, that ammo you mention at Cabelas was .22 WMR. The picture showed Winchester 333 but when you put it in your cart, it was .22 WMR.

• Dennis H. says:

Yep z noticed that a few hours after I posted it.

• Dennis H. says:

I’m not currently buying so I didn’t take it thru to cart. I see walmart stopped postin 22 ammo availability on their website. I suspect that’ll actually help it “reach” the shelf.

• Jimmi says:

Dennis,
        shows Walmart .22 hasn’t been updated since June and neither has any of their other pistol ammo…rifle ammo, yes. Wonder if Wally-World has stopped carrying pistol ammo after the latest Rebel Flag/Church Shooting/You Name It?

• Zbigniew says:

According to some threads on Rimfire Central, Walmart is blocking inventory information on .22 ammo, if not all ammo. Wikiarms.com has a separate Walmart ammo section and not ONCE have I found it to be correct.

• Dennis H. says:

Walmarts own website was the easiest and most accurate site to know where the ammo was gonna drop. They’re still sellin 22 and pistol ammo, think it’s just their way of tryin to let it sit on the shelves a bit longer in an effort to give more people the opportunity to aquire ammo.

• Hope you get this, I have 1000 rounds of CCI shorts I could let go, cover my cost (I think about $10.00/box of 100) & shipping & there yours.

9. Ben Hogan says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Nice cover story for the guys who are the real problem here, the manufacturers and the distrubutors. Your numbers simply do not add up. Taking the numbers that you give and taking into account the fact that the manufacturers claim they are working double over time to meet demand, paints a picture for a thinking person that shows a far different picture than is presented here. The writer of the article is operating off the knowledge that throwing lots a of big numbers out there boggles the average mind and peoole just believe the bottom line claim without worjing the numbers.

Now think back with me to when you were buying .22 ammo BEFORE it got scarce. Did you ever walk into a gun store and buy the only brick of ammo available? No. There were always multuple bricks of multiple brands available. You could walk out with several bricks. You could come back the next week and repeat the process. You could do that any time you wanted.

Now the two deciding facts. Fact #1. The manufacturers are claiming they are making MORE ammo today than they were then. Fact #2. Pretty much the same number of gun owners are buying .22 ammo today as then.

So why back then could you buy litetally tens of thousands of rounds a year without a problem when the numbers as presented above only allow for a brick per gun owner every 2 years? And remember, they are claiming that they are making MORE ammo today.

Bottom line. Remember the huge price jump in oil quite a few years ago? Remember what happened to gas prices? Now look where the oil price is today and yet gas prices are still way above what they were when oil prices were higher than they are today. The prices of oil and gas have been all over the map, so it may take you some time to sort it all out, but it is fact. They used a “crisis” for free market testing to see what people were willing to pay for gas. The ammo manufacturers have done the same here. They have now determined that peoole are willing to pay $50 – $75 a brick. So don’t be too shocked to see prices settle at around $50 a brick and the supply come back online in full force fairly soon.

Someone has been lying to you all big time. And we have all paid the price for the lie.

• John R Blair Jr says:

Ben:
      Yep; you are correct sir but, your astute observation is just the tip of the reprehensible untold truth iceberg.

As a small part of the foundation of American freedom the 22lr WAS an entry level, beginner, starter, once upon a time essential element of the upbringing engrained in the national agenda of a secure, productive, and trustworthy community; with supportive aspirations shared by most through the accessible, common, and knowledgeable use of firearms.

Hunting, Target shooting, Collecting, Trades and business (gunsmith just for one), and pre training for police/military were all considered useful and admirable rights of passage necessary to the free peoples of a democratic law conscious prosperous nation.

Today’s USA of litigious, victimized, self first, peoples increasingly located in government centric massed comfort zones and willingly dependant on the same; have become a new depraved collective of conscience where guns are hysterically propagandized as an outdated, unnecessary, evil.

“Religions don’t kill people; PEOPLE kill people” Obama. What? Can you hear yourself Mr. President?
      Sorry I got off track but, still…..

The profit margin as the sole motive that is consuming the current firearm industry is indicative to some degree of the purely self serving shift in keeping with and more akin to the ethics of the new knighted states of amerika we are so comfortable with these days; which will NOT be healthy for the firearms industry and the US in the long term.

Why would the firearm industry do this? Has the firearm industry lost sight of the future to live in the now; the now of the new agenda of self only, with little or no concern for the TRUE benefits of the whole of the nation’s populace versed in firearms as the life sustaining TOOLS that they ARE. For in freedom there will be life.

Has the firearms industry become complaisantly compliant to the inevitable; foreseeing a future where only the few or the select moneyed politically connected will have delusional rights to our limited freedoms.

The firearms industry giving in to the new necessity of our self centered collectivism robs us of our future through an involuntary dearth of interest!

The first great loss is the generation that has never had the pleasure of the responsible enjoyment of firearms!

An shameless and calculated limited availability of the unprofitable little 22lr for an undetermined length of time is a frightful specter that should have been avoided at all cost with great foresight, but that is not our reality here in the land of the once brave.

Semper fi
      John

• Bruce Frederes says:

I agree and disagree withwhats going on with the 22LR ammo..We have a NEW FIELD AND STREAM STORE HERE AND THEY HAVE BULK 500 ROUND boxes of Thunderbolt 22lr on pallets. I have not seen any Sierra Bullets any where. I have seen cci and Thunderbolt,and very few Winchester in very small quantity’s of 50 to the box.. This leaves one to think the people that run BIG CORPS.CAN DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO BRING IN THE PEOPLE.DICKS IS AFFILIATED WITH F&S AND DICKS HAS NO 22LR FOR SALE?How am I a suppose to know whats going on?
        Bruce Frederes
        ecurb15!@live.com

• Ben Hogan says:

Bruce,

A while back I sent out emails to multiple ammo manufacturers asking for amswers to why the shortage has hung on so long. We have seen temporary shortages before, but nothing dragging into years. I only received two replies. One from a Hornady telling me they had no clue why I wasted their time as they don’t manufacture .22 ammo. (The clown ignored or missed the fact that I had specifically said “rimfire ammo” not .22 ammo). The other response was from a guy from CCI with a Texas size ego problem. He did his best to dress me down and show me that I was a “know nothing” barely worth his time since I couldn’t possibly understand supply and demand and reiterated the oft mentioned claim of working overtime to produce extra ammo. He made the fatal mistake of linking this article in his reply. I thanked him kindly for giving me exactly the ammunition I needed to destroy their claim for good. Then I used his own claims and the claims in this article to show him that numbers never lie, but liars and gun grabbers use numbers every day. He predictably came unglued!

At the end of an enlightening email exchange in which I came to realuze that CCI needs to revamp their public relations department, he finished by telling me that he could see the market loosening up very shortly. Within a month the market had done just that. Midway USA raised their limits on ammo as did quite an few other places. And more ammo began showing up much more frequently. Now I ask, how could he be privy to such info if no one is playing the market? Only other explanation is that he is God and somehow I always pictured God as being more respectful than this guy was. So I am pretty sure he tipped his hand and showed me without meaning to that the people in the know are fully aware that the market is being played.

I am not however convinced that the manufacturers in the gun industry are playing a gun control game. I believe it is driven by pure greed

• Zbigniew says:

BOHICA! o’bozo’s ATF released a statement today contemplating a ban on .223 FMJ ammo, so the whole “run”, “hoarder” or whatever you want to call it, can start all over again.

Thank God for liberals!! Can we please elect another one in 2016 and have eight more wonderful years just like the last eight?

• bernie says:

Now, now, Zbignew. You have to admit Obama was the best thing to happen to gun and ammo manufacturers.

The NRA, the industry’s trade and lobbying association, is secretly praying for another Obama type administration. They know it was the best thing ever to happen for their paymasters, even if they won’t admit it. They do admit their massive increase in membership was a direct result of Obama.

Two terms of Hillary and they can roll back the GCA of ’68 *and* the Nat’l Firearms Act of ’34. I’m being serious here. You do not understand how useful such presidents like O or Hillary can be for this purpose, especially when there is absolutely no danger of any bans passing a gop controlled congress or being upheld in the Roberts court.

This constant hue and cry of “libs coming to take my guns” is nothing but a tempest in a teapot. It does make for great fundraising and manufacturing profits, though.

• al illig says:

My comments concern not only 22 ammo. I have been reloading for over 50 years with a variety of powders but primarily Unique. Now I have not seen a can of Unique in several YEARS! My dealer has several varieties of EMPTY cans on his shelves, and when asked why the display when he has no product, I was told flat out- Company policy! Go figure.
        Also there USED to be ads for numbered powders (surplus?) and brass primarily in two magazines. Now there is few or none.. Conspiracy I do believe is also involved.

10. rob t says:

I sent a message to cci my reply is what I figure told me to come here for my answer horder not the only problem why can’t a class 3 dealer not put in a order for 22 ? Why is it wal mart in a 50 miles radius not able to carry cci either on line Google it that’s what it said doesn’t carry it ? Wal mart has racks full of 22 rifles.this has been going on for a year and a half now.I can buy eeverything but 22 even ap rounds no 22 rounds if wal mart does get ammo in it’s 3 or 6 boxes gone in the first 2 customers limited 3 boxes go figure.my other ? Is why shipping over sea if can’t keep up with demand of it here.im sorry horder is not the best answer I thinking government not allowing order for a class 3 delears government buying 22 up on purpose why there guns required 223 and 556 and 60 plus 50 cal 9 mm for side arms 45 for special forces not any body in current military uses 22 active purpose for combat good luck everyone don’t believe it’s just horder it is a joke copout

• Bruce Frederes says:

I bought a new RUGER 10/22 and I could not buy any 22LR for several months after I purchased it.I was told it is because of the GOVENOR OF NY PUT A SAFE ACT across the whole state.So I can buy anti tank gun ammo and gun but not 22LR for plinking and target shooting .You tell me does this make any sense to any one.Spring is coming and soon we will all want to go TARGET SHOOTING > However witout any 22LR it will be impossible to have any TARGET SHOOTING fun.Let me know if you find any in NY for sale. Winchester,CCI,FEDERAL ??????????????

• Zbigniew says:

It’s not just in New York. It’s everywhere.

• John R Blair Jr says:

Bruce:
        Good luck with your quest; IMO 22lr has been MADE unattainable to shooters who want to have Fun TARGET SHOOTING. One of the affects of no more Fun TARGET SHOOTING may be;
        in the long run, no more shooting period! Some surreptitious decisions have been made by the
        suppliers in regard to the health of the 2nd amendment by saying that you and I are 22lr hoarders and thus the very reason for the loss of fun in shooting.
        I call BS..
        Semper fi
        John

• Bruce Frederes says:

I have been LUCKY recently FIELD& Stream opened up opposite Dicks and guess what they have 22LR IN STOCK FROM 500 TO A 1000 ROUNDS CARTONS Limited amounts. Walmart never has it in stock.

11. Zbigniew says:

It’s been almost a year since this article was originally written. .22 ammo had been unobtainable for over a year before that.

Be patient, they say. You guys are hoarding too much.

Total BS.

12. Muzhik says:

LOL @ all the people bitching because they can’t get their popgun ammo. I have a Mosin. 91/30 as my first gun. Ammo is everywhere and I’m laughing at my friend who got a Ruger 10/22 and hasn’t been able to shoot yet because of the lack of ammo.

13. cd1960 says:

I left a reply to “John” at the start of this blog. Don’t blame the distributors, they are getting no product. Manufactures have more or less shut down 22lr case & cartridge manufacture and owe
    us an explanation why. There is no 17HM2 not HMR. This is the little RF based on the 22lr case. Most people don’t even know what it is, but there is none available. Sales people are hearing nothing from their buyers – closed mouth. This has shut down “recreational shooting” in America.

This all started after Sandy Hook.
    Did the Department of HLS make a deal with ammo manufactures? Stop 22lr for ? years? The numbers don’t add up. At said production, demand could be caught up in 60 days.

What is this all about? Why does no one have true answers we believe?

• Flexwing man says:

I agree. I’ll add that I believe the entire gun industry will feel the effects of this for a long time. Everyone I know including myself have stopped buying 22 firearms. I use to shoot 22s at least 3 times a week. I can’t do it anymore. I won’t pay the stupid high prices that some are trying to get for rim fire ammo. As I said very early on, you can’t hoard what you can’t get. They say they are making more than ever, but none of the big or small retailers say they are getting anywhere near what they use to get before the shortages. This has gone on for the past 3 years. This has to be hurting the numbers of younger shooters that would be getting into shooting. That means less shooters, less future hunters, and less sales for the entire gun / sporting industry. Are there restrictions on imported ammo? Why don’t we see more foreign ammo being sold. I’m sure those companies would like a piece of this American market. The whole thing just stinks! During WW 2 we built a B24 bomber every 60 minutes, 24 hours a day out of one ford plant in Michigan with no computers and no CNCs, yet today, after 3 years we can’t make enough 22s! I find it hard to believe they are producing more than ever, if so, where is the ammo going??

Ref:
      Ford broke ground on Willow Run in the spring of 1941, with the first plane coming off the line in October 1942. It had the largest assembly line in the world (3,500,000 sq ft; 330,000 m2). At its peak in 1944, the Willow Run plant produced one B-24 per hour and 650 B-24s per month.[35] By 1945, Ford made 70% of all B-24s in two nine-hour shifts. Pilots and crews slept on 1,300 cots at Willow Run waiting for their B-24s to roll off the assembly line. At Willow Run, Ford produced half of 18,000 total B-24s.[35]

• Zbigniew says:

Welcome to the utopian socialist society, brought to you by our illustrious 545 people in D.C. I guess they must have fallen in love with the images of empty shelves and Russians standing in bread lines and decided that we needed to be like them. While at the same time, the Russians decided they needed to be like us.

What was once the world’s leading superpower, the Arsenal of Democracy, has now been reduced to an empty shell of its former self that can’t even produce enough .22 ammo to stock the shelves, let alone turn out a B-24 every hour.

• Flexwing man says:

Very true!

• Bruce Frederes says:

My thought on that is we should ask why is it we can buy 223 ammunition in any quantity we want but cannot buy 22LR ammo in any Quantity with out calling ahead or sitting on the COUNTER WAITING FOR NEW AMMUNITION TO ARRIVE..I can buy 12 gauge,20 gauge most any rifle bullet but not 22LR. Whats wrong with this picture?

• Dennis H. says:

Bruce I’d stock up on ammo for all the calibers u like to shoot while u can as I am. The next ammo run is only an election away. I won’t b affected by it again. Call me a hoarder if you want, I won’t be able to hear you over the gunfire as I’m able to shoot whenever I want.

• bernie says:

This has nothing to do with socialism or congress, it’s actually capitalism without a completely free enough market.

The point flexwing made about ww2 bomber production is apt: Demand creates its own supply even when demand seems impossibly great and time is short.

But that happens only when there are competitors willing to pursue that demand.

Our ammo manufacturers produce but only up to a point. And there are no other lean and hungry players in the schoolyard who can, metaphorically speaking, beat them up and take their lunch money.

It is in the ammo makers interest to keep prices high by keeping the supply tight (it’s exactly what OPEC does with oil). In a truly free market new competitors would rush in to fill that demand. We are not seeing that happen in the ammunition manufacturing business so we must ask ourselves why.

When we have real competition we will see the shortages vanish in months not years, as sporting ammunition is much simpler to produce than bombers.

14. bernie says:

Pants-wetting gun owners got scared of liberals (for all those guns they own they sure are an easily frightened bunch) and ran for gun stores and the ammo shelves. Gougers made the ammo shortage more acute. And manufacturers, quick to see the advantages of tight supply, have been careful to not go after the demand aggressively to perpetuate the condition.

After years of ammo shortages one must wonder why supply has not met demand. What once was a commodity is now a specialty good. The manufacturers want to keep it that way.

The so-called free market is broken here. I understand how hoarding and gougers initially emptied the stores and drove up the price. But the manufacturers, realizing the gravy train had rolled in at last want to keep it rolling. Keep supply tight. A windfall profit from the ubiquitous and lowly 22lr? For 2 or 3 years and counting? They never’d have dreamed such a thing! Why spoil a good thing by meeting demand?

There has been literally *years* of unmet demand. That investment in more machinery they claim they are leery of making, if they had done that 3 years ago it would have been amortized and paid off in full by now. You don’t have an open market, the ammo industry is composed of only a very few players. Like any oligarchy or cartel, they can control supply in this situation and thereby can de facto set prices.

After years of shortages its not because the manufacturers can’t get find the money, labor (in this job market? Gimme a break!) and machinery they need to satisfy demand. It’s because they choose not to in order to to keep .22 lr at the current prices.

15. bernie says:

Matt Reams: “Starts making some sense then doesn’t?”

No Matt, it doesn’t. In fact it’s utter nonsense because you still sidestepped the obvious — if it takes 17.5 billion rounds per to meet demand why are aren’t the manufacturers making 17.5 billion rounds per day? They’ve only had since *2009*, not last night, to do it.

We are talking about the manufacture of sporting arms ammunition here, not F-35s. It involves relatively simple industrial machinery not areospace technology.

If my company learned that for even one year there was a massive unmet need in our market let alone it was a safe multi-year trend (say two terms of 4 years back to back), then they’d fall all over themselves to build, hire, and expand capacity to fill that need to capture that revenue. Even if there was little profit they’d do it to keep their competitors out of that space because that alone has immense value. And they’d do it in months, not years.

And they’d get the capital for that kind of rapid expansion because that scale of ummet demand attracts a lot of money from investors and banks. That’s how markets work. When there are competitors.

It’s a disengenious suggestion, the idea that a capitalist worthy of the word “profit” is concerned — afraid even — of having to lay off people or sell equipment in a future downturn. “Wasting capital”, as you term it. That’s ridiculous. When it comes time to liquidate machinery they will liquidate. When it comes time to lay off excess personnel they will lay off excess personnel. When has any capitalist held back in a boom because they worried about the bust? You snooze, you lose. And your competitors take your lunchmoney.

But ammo manufacturers aren’t competitors, not exactly. They didn’t have the cohesion to kick off a shortage (like OPEC, say) but I think once a shortage developed they discovered they could keep starving the beast.

Your piece is more excuse than explanation. An apologist who gets paid for it is a shill.

16. Ralston Mcdonald says:

Ken in Idaho
    My family owns a small retail hardware and sporting goods store in Southern Idaho. We have had rimfire ammo on order from our wholesale suppliers for three years and can’t get any for our shelves. Other small retailers are facing the same problem.

But when I gon on line to look for rimfire ammo I see sports suppliers with thousands of rounds of ammo for sale at highly inflated prices. This tells me that the wholesalers and big box stores are hoarding the ammo and leaking it out thru the internet to gouge the public. I think that they have hired a geek squad to do nothing but internet market rimfire ammo at inflated prices. It all comes down to greed. If the ammo is not getting to the retail stores how can people buy to HOARD?????

17. Skip says:

if it’s not making it to stores how can it be panic buying. americans are about as dumb as a bed of rocks and it s is for this reason you get anti gunners in the white house. i have been saying this for years but the gun stores still keep up with the dream that it’s panic buying and when asked why are you at least getting what you always get….. refer to the above statement. i called winchester and asked if i cloud do a documentary on the making of 22r and was flatly denied.

• Ben Hogan says:

Now why would Winchester flatly deny you the privilege of making a documentary on the making of .22 ammo? If they were telling the truth about churning out ammo at record paces, the documentary would lay to rest a lot of the conspiracy stories about market manipulation by ammo manufacturers.

In a normal market, what is happening here would have gotten the attention of the DOJ a long time ago and someone would have gotten investigated for unfair trade practices. Price fixing and market manipulation is illegal. But since the same folks that enforce THOSE rules also want to take our guns away, they are complicit in the scam. It accomplishes what they simply cannot do. What good is an empty gun? It basically becomes an expensive club.

I am tired of all the apologists making excuses for the ammo manufacturers. There is NO WAY they are making ammo as fast as they possibly can. They are manipulating the market for higher profit margins and they know it.

Bottom line, that .22 ammo sold for a third what it is going for today before this crap started. Nothing else has tripled in price in that same time frame and there are plenty of products that use very similar components, such as brass, lead, and copper. So I am not buying the claim of higher material costs being the reason. Consider this, if you were making a good profit at $25/box and later found that market conditions could be manipulated to sell that same product at $75/box, you could actually cut production IN HALF and make more money than before. After all, that $50/box extra is PURE PROFIT; you were making a PROFIT at $25/box, remember? And they get away with it because there are enough folks using the little bits of ammo they are getting to keep their scheme alive. Wonder why the supply of other hunting ammo has come back on line to pre-stupid pricing levels? Too close margins and too low overall demand on those items to manipulate it the same way. They can only get away with that kind of nonsense on a high demand product like .22 ammo.

• Brian Owen says:

I agree and would love to see some foreign companies import a ton of ammo into the US. There must be restrictions or they would be doing it. Let Japan start making it, at least the quality would be high. Too bad I have to say that, but we are getting scammed on this by what used to be great American companies! I’ve got to wonder how the employees of these companies feel about this situation. I’d love to hear from some of them on what kind of work loads they are under. I really believe that these American companies are going to pay a price of lost loyalty when it’s all said and done.

• Zbigniew says:

Exactly. You would think a .22 ammo manufacturing firm would JUMP at the chance to dispel once and for all the rumors by SHOWING their machinery running full-tilt, 24/7.

• Brian Owen says:

Yep, this is what I’ve always said. Not one business I’ve asked, on line or local,has said they were getting any quantity of 22 rimfire ammo. They all say they are not getting anything near what they used to get before the scare three plus years ago. It would be nice if some organization like the BBB or the like, could investigate the true reasons for the lack of rimfire ammo. This whole thing is just BS and flat out un-American!

• Zbigniew says:

It would be nice if $972,000 per year Wayne LaPierre would investigate this instead of constantly asking for more money (so he can be paid even more).

18. Skip says:

wondering why even the greedy chinese aren’t making these.

• Dennis H. says:

It’s my understanding that a Clinton executive order from the early nineties prevents importing arms and munitions from china.

• Dennis H. says:

And in 03 Bush doubled down on that EO.

• Jake says:

You’re correct. Obama has instituted blocks on anything from Russia over the Ukraine situation. Only 22or coming from outside US is Aguila from Mexico (used to be a Federal Ammo plant) and RWS from Germany. Neither is real cheap…

19. Justin says:

To play devil’s advocate for a minute – not because I necessarily believe this but just because it hasn’t been brought up that much – with the supply vs demand argument. With the popularity of AR style .22’s I know the guys were I shoot are blowing through ammo at an alarming rate. Its nothing to watch each of them go through 500-1000 rounds in a sitting. When I was a kid with my bolt action we would use a couple boxes of 50 or so in a go. With that much more ammo being sold you have stores placing bigger orders on the manufacturers – stores that only put in an order every other month are now putting in orders every week. So the same supply in their warehouses is going to fulfill ever bigger orders, before long they can’t keep up, and that is why mom and pops are being overlooked while the manufacturers give precedence to the big retailers – who are then letting a large part of their stock go right out the back door and into the hands of hoarders and gougers. However, with the absence of reloading supplies (especially powder) on the shelves I think there has to be more to what is going on. I can believe that manufacturers are keeping production down to drive prices up, but not that they are in cahoots with the anti-gun crowd to put a stop to shooters, they want us buying bullets or they are out of work.

20. Jake Jaschob says:

Operation JADE HELM 2015. Google it for yourself. 7 States area involved in “Special Forces Training Exercise”… Guess what the ammo has been stock piled for!! Rumors of Martial Law cover.

21. Doyle says:

so all this 22 ammo going out to distributers and buyers.funny how only a handful ends up on shelfs.
    also funny how most of your sporting good stores are selling .22 rifle and pistols but can not supply the new gun owners with ammo.
    BTW those that claim bunches of 22 thunderbolt ,i wonder how often they shoot that stuff thru any semi-auto

22. preacherman says:

if everyone started an email campaign to the companies that manufacturer .22lr and tell them we want to know if they are controlling production in order to drive up prices, maybe they’ll wise up and stop this nonsense.

• Zbigniew says:

Even better, let’s organize a boycott! Oh, wait a minute…there’s no ammo on the shelves to boycott. I’ve scored exactly 100 rounds of .22 LR in the 2 1/2 years since Dec 2012 and that was the ONLY .22 LR ammo I’ve seen in that length of time.

But of course, the ammo makers are running 24/7 supplying all this ammo that shows up nowhere–it’s the hoarders that are scooping up all the non-existent ammo. I guess I’m a non-existent ammo hoarder myself–I’ve bought every round of .22 LR I could and have ended up with a shelf full of nothing.

• Brian says:

Not only should everyone e-mail the ammo manufactures, but they should contact the gun companies like Ruger and Marlin/Remington and ask them why they aren’t pressuring the ammo companies because they are losing sales on 22 rifles. All the gun dealers I’ve talked to say they can’t see 22 firearms because of not having ammo for them. It’s just pitiful that this has gone on this long….thanks Obama!

23. james says:

So the short answer is you people do not know either, and here we are almost 3 years into this.

24. Dennis H. says:

6 months from now even the weak, slow,and simple will be able to find ammo.

• Zbigniew says:

Maybe you enjoy the scavenger-hunt aspect of .22 ammo availability? I don’t. I, for one, will WELCOME the day when the weak, slow and simple can actually walk into a store and buy ammo without having to conduct some idiotic, needle-in-a-haystack search.

Let’s all hope Mr. Scott is right. But my take on his article is that it’s is just so much recycled pablum. There’s not a word in it that we haven’t all heard a hundred times already. He talks about shooters buying ‘pallets’ (360,000 rounds) of ammo after Sandy Hook? From who? It all disappeared INSTANTLY. Even if ammo was available in those quantities, what shooter would shell out $18,000 to feed his .22’s?

That would mean that distributors have been selling record amounts of .22 ammo. Not a single one has told me that. The ones I’ve talked to say their supply of .22 ammo has been a small fraction of what it was prior to this mess.

• Ben Hogan says:

Exactly. It has all been lies from day one. Only the manufacturers really profitted on this one. And they continue to lie to us. Now they are constructing the next lie to explain the reappearance of .22 ammo after 3 years of nothing

25. Dennis H. says:

Was in cabelas last wknd, thousands of rnds of federal automatch and norma tac-22. Their website now allows 5-100rnd slides of cci/order. Their website had 7 or 8 different types of 22lr yesterday mornin. The resellers/gougers are startin to dump their stashes as indicated by my local pawn shops bein flush with ammo. Sure its been a pain to find ammo these past few years but I’ve continued to find and shoot 500 rnds or so a wknd and keep my nieces and nephews in ammo and it took less effort and time than it took to type this post. We’ll all be armpit deep before long and it will take no effort for you to find.

• Ben Hogan says:

Good for you. I couldn’t find enough to blast through more than 500 rounds every couple months. And that between me and my 4 oldest boys who LOVE to shoot their .22s. We have all but given up shooting for a while

26. Dennis H. says:

Cabelas has cci mini mags up right now, order 500.

27. Dennis H. says:

28. Dennis H. says:

Winchester 333 bulk paks for $20 up on cabelas website along with the cci mini mags still. Order away boys!

29. Dennis H. says:

Yep, still up.

30. Dennis H. says:

Natchez has cci 300 rnd paks up for $23.99 and they’re still up at cabelas.

31. mitch garstang says:

what happened to this old thread? no replys in a year? I live in St Louis MO area and Walmart and all other retailers even suppliers like Midway USA in Columbia are NOT getting even close to the amount of 22cal Ammo (all 22 Calibers including 223) from manufacturers that they did the Year b4 Obama took office like the Dems keep telling us they can while denying any rationing of Ammo. and I am retired disabled so I get to check all these stores all hours and days of week they are open. finally had a local Walmart manager tell me they had a shipment of 22lr coming in the other day at 7AM. I was 1st in line and the entire shipment for the month consisted of 1 case (6 boxes of bulk hollow points 555rnds each at 27.50 each and 1 case (2 bulk packs 1,000 rnds of 22-M plain round nose lead) all Winchester brand no other 22 Ammo or brands I bought one of the 555 and got home to fine one bullet was tossed on top of pile in box that looked like it had been hammered on and twisted with pliers with deep dents bent bullet and rim pinched with wire cutters til it curled back on case yet still unfired. I say somebody at their factory is planting stuff like this in cartons trying to ruin the company’s business. I have delt with thousands of all brands and calibers of Ammo in my life also my dad and Grandpa where gun dealers and never have I seen such a bullet let alone just tossed on top of the other 564 rounds in the box YES it was the 10th extra bullet over what was to be sold in the box and the only bad round. now who is the paranoid? I have contacted Winchester already with pics so I am sure they will take care of it as they are one of the few makers in the USA I trust and wont buy Ammo from other new guys etc.if it were me I would find who worked on that lot and get the culprit to fess up or replace the whole crew including management responsible for Quality control access to final packaging as this is industrial sabotage and like it or not We are at War from within. bet this is only 1 of thousands of such events happening at many Ammo makers. likely when Winchester examines this bullet its not even got powder in it just a scare tactic for all these fresh young gun owners that think Ammo has an expiration date also LMAO.

• Justin says:

No one is getting the orders they used to get because every single store in the Nation has massive standing orders. They divide up what they have so everyone gets a little bit as best they can. Seems Walmart isn’t high on the list though because I’ve been told a local hardware store did get a pallet and set on it until some promo they were doing. The problem is that they can’t make enough .22 to meet demand, period. When they do get bullets you have guys buying them up by the thousands and at that rate it goes fast. Manufacturers can’t make more without building another rimfire plant, and even if they did that they wouldn’t be able to get rimfire primers which are the real problem with mass producing .22 – the primers are damn hard to make and no way the government is going to approve another rimfire primer manufacturing plant.

• mitch garstang says:

OK so it really is the Gov holding things up if they wont approve private manufacturing of parts of bullets

• mitch garstang says:

other countries in Middle East and far East are making rimfire ammo like mad even in huts while we are told to just sit and wait. I do not beleive that production slower than hoarder demand BS for 1 minute. I have not seen anyone grabbing up thousands of rounds as I posted above no place is getting full orders and has not been for 8 years now. sounds like 2 POTUS terms to me. gun control scares have been around longer than most the readers here and never shortage on “Target, Plinking” bullets look whats available on the shelves all popular calibers used to kill just no small caliber rimfire and center fire mostly centerfire used by what Dems call Assault guns. seems they dont know what those where b4 Vietnam like Tommy Guns, 1911 45ACP plenty of those on shelves and others. they dont want the next generation to be introduced to Guns that is what most 22 Ammo was used for. that way when the old guys die off Guns will too. I also see people born after the late 1970s and others that only recently got Guns due to all the scare tactics etc. have no idea Ammo does not expire just due to age. if kept cool and dry it is safe to use and works fine indefinitely. I saw family turn down Dads well kept Ammo and even some fine vintage Guns just because it was out of warrenty and act like it was hazardous waste. thats a cryin shame people have been brain washed so much with false Media attacks/claims. I took hunter safety classes with my 2 sons at their schools even though I didnt have to and I saw no such lies told there so its only the Media and Democrat politicians propaganda. trying to disarm citizens and turn them into lambs for slaughter. anyone telling lies to cover up this is either in on it or being forced to say it so they dont get their license pulled for manufacturing firearms. same as late 1930s Germany did.

• Walmarts near where I live are just starting to get a *trickle* of .22 LR. In most stores, you are limited to ONE box, doesn’t matter if it’s 50 rounds or 550 rounds, you get ONE box.

Since December 2012, I’ve bought exactly 525 rounds–two 100 round boxes of Mini Mags and one 325 round box of Federal Auto Match. Took three trips to get it.

525 rounds in 3 1/2 years. Let that sink in. At that rate of accumulation, if I load up a magazine of ten rounds, it’s got to last me 24 days.

• Justin says:

RE: Zbigniew Chrysler,

Local Walmart was pretty hard to get bullets too (used to be you couldn’t get 380, then it was 223, and now its 22). I talked to an employee friend and she said that as soon as the truck comes in the same people are there every time. They buy up the 3 box limit, then their wife buys up the 3 box limit, then their kids, then their friends…she said they don’t even stock the shelves because there is no point, there are only a few boxes left when the regulars are done and they put them under the counter for those that ask. These people were hoarding some and selling the rest at markup prices. Finally the market broke, no one would buy their overpriced bullets and so they stopped going in. Finally bullets were on the shelves again. I was having good luck getting bullets on most of my weekly trips. Then, they were gone again. Asked what happened and she said word got out that bullets were on the shelves again and hoarders flooded back in to buy them all up again. So they are getting bullets but a person buying 1500, then having their wife buy 1500, then their kids buying 1500 each, then their friends…it doesn’t take any time at all to burn down a pallet at that rate. Compare that to when I was a kid, and we rarely bought bulk boxes, and never thousands of rounds, just a couple 50 round boxes at a time. See the difference?

• I’ve heard that same story so many times I’ve lost count. But I personally have never seen it. For one thing, the clerks at the Walmarts I’ve gone to tell me what little ammo they get is put out at all hours of the day. Being there first thing in the morning may or may not do you any good because the Super Centers are open 24 hrs/day. The three times I’ve gotten lucky were once in the morning and twice late afternoon. I just check for ammo if I happen to be there for other reasons.

I’m not going to conduct wild-goose-chase scavenger hunts for overpriced .22 ammo. I grew up in a time when you could go to any number of places and buy .22 ammo anytime you wanted to. There is no earthy reason why it should not be that way now.

• Flexwingman says:

I agree 100% and will add that I think companies like Winchester have been a disgrace by letting this go on this many years. The supply of rimfire ammo is no better now than it was 4 years ago. The demand is there yet they won’t invest in order to up production which would make them more profit. They would also put more Americans to work. That use to be how America worked. They are lucky that we don’t let the foreign ammo companies ship in all they could. If we did, our companies like Winchester would lose a ton of business for good. By not ramping up production, our ammo companies are hurting the the gun companies as well. Who wants to buy 22 rifles and pistols when there is no ammo available. I’ve passed on buying at least 4 different rimfire firearms because of no ammo. It just stinks and to think that we made B52 bombers every 66 minutes from one Ford plant 24 hours a day during WW2 with no computers. It was just hard working Americans and tough companies with a back bone…..no so today, very sad.

• Flexwingman, that was the Willow Run plant in Michigan. They produced B24 Liberators; the B52 came along a little later.

But that is unimportant. Your point is well taken. If today’s USA is a “super power,” I’ll eat my hat. What a joke–a “super power” that can’t even put .22 ammo on the shelves in peacetime.

• Flexwingman says:

You are right, it was B24s. I sure hope Trump wins this election. We have a segment of people in the US that just don’t get it and a government that’s more concerned with who gets to use the restrooms vs what direction our country is going. Just pitiful! This next election will define our future and the future for the young kids today. I’m still very optimistic, time will tell.

• mitch garstang says:

walmart dont get 3 boxes per month let alone enough to sell to 3 people 3 boxes each and most cant afford the bulk boxes. as to reselling Ammo on web sites like facebook groups that do this thats being stopped as reselling Ammo without an FFL is a felony and those idiots doing that need put in jail 5-10 years to teach them the law. also most states have laws against shipping/transporting Ammo over state lines either in or out and USPS also dont allow it by law so thats double fines. plus if you sell any firearm or Ammo to a minor or ex-con thats on you also. you can be jailed 25 years (each crime and each box is separate offenses added to each other) then thousands of dollars fines, lawer fees plus a record preventing you from buying firearms or ammo for at least 5 years after sentence ends. and if that Felon you sold to commits a crime with what you sold him that too is on you as well. so is the few bucks worth all that? those people are the cause of others demanding more gun control and the laws being broken have been on the books for decades longer than these fools been on the Earth same goes for all the “gun crimes’ they just need to enforce the laws already on the bookss instead of making redundant laws. how do new laws make criminals law abiding if old laws already fail to?

• I don’t know where you live but there are no such laws against private citizens re-selling ammo or transporting it across state lines here. I haven’t yet sold any of my ammo, but I buy ammo, in person, in another state regularly.

• mitch garstang says:

“Zbigniew Chrysler says:
        July 5, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I don’t know where you live but there are no such laws against private citizens re-selling ammo or transporting it across state lines here. I haven’t yet sold any of my ammo, but I buy ammo, in person, in another state regularly.”

its federal law here in the USA and has been for many decades. I guess you resell prescription drugs too without being a licensed pharmacist? better check again. Fedex is one of the few transport companies that can ship firearms and such across state lines and most can only be delivered to holders of an FFL or picked up at their local depot with proper ID of individual owning the item. this is exactly the kind of beliefs that cause people to think anybody can buy Guns etc without any fear of background checks etc. just because you broke the law and didnt get caught yet is not proof that the law dont exist. buying selling, trading in person as long as the municipality your doing it in is OK with it is another thing but still you can be held responsible for what that person does with it if they are under age or criminal. I was refering to all the online sales gougers are doing selling/buying and shipping Firearms and related items which are controlled by said laws between private citizens that have no idea who they are dealing with and the USPS, UPS and most other package delivery services BAN such shipments same as illegal drugs etc. this is why private gun purchases can pay a local dealer a recievership fee for having a gun shipped to them and hold it for you to complete any paperwork required in your area or federal. also the main reason NO store selling new Ammo can accept returns since they have no way of knowing if its been tampered with so they cant resell it without fear of litigation. remember the Tylenol scandal years ago? buying old or reloaded ammo at gun-shows is very risky also since you dont really know if its safe. even people that know how to reload, can and have make mistakes that can kill the shooter. this aint ladie finger firecrackers we are talking about here. ask your local BATFE officer. also gouging prices by “scalping” retail items is called profiteering and also has laws regarding the practice. thats why most web sites are banning such practices now.

• AMMO is what I buy across state lines. Firearms, too, but only LONG guns, no HANDGUNS. Most recently in 2014.

Handguns are the only thing a person can’t buy, in person, in another state and take it home with them. Handguns have to be transferred to an FFL in the state of your residence and you then fill out the form 4473 and take ownership from that FFL at his place of business.

• mitch garstang says:

buying ammo or rifles is not the real issue. but selling it without an FFL that is trouble with BATFE thats what the profiteers are doing online

• mitch garstang says:

heck even selling used cars without a dealers license to do so in most states if you sell more than 6 per year is a crime. same for guns not to mention the other reasons an FFL is required..

• James D Jaschob says:

Seen the same thing happen here in Belleville,IL. Husband and wife team always first in line. when they stocked routinely at 0700 the morning after the truck came in so that all that worked and those that didn’t had the same chance to get anything that might have come in. Usually it turned out something like: four boxes of Win M22 of 1000 rounds, 10 boxes of Rem Golden Bullet in 525 packs. The hubby would get his three box limit and take 3 of the M22 1000 rounders, Wife would get the last 1000 round M22 and take two of the 525 boxes. That days haul: 5050 rounds for the pair. The same pair would always walk out with a minimum of around a 1000 rounds as they were always first in line and pretty much wiped out any qty of large number boxes. Then, when the average joe caught on to what they were doing, some started showing up 2 to 2.5 hours early to beat them into the line. Suddenly WalMart quit stocking at 0700 and stocked at random times during the day and week. Something about not everyone could get there at 0700 so they started varying the times to make it more fair. (wink, wink) Now if any comes in, and they stock that particular shipment at 0700 and the person has also stopped in on that day at that time. you might be able to get something. Basically, unless you pay through the nose or wait for one of the rare guns shows it eh area and can catch a deal, 22 LR in any form is like finding a 3 dollar bill. Funny though, 22 Mag is also just about as scarce yet 17 HMR is always in abundance. Wonder if the 17 HMR has better profit margins, that’s what they focus on, and not a lot are shooting it as it isn’t cheap. Fingers are crossed that the next election helps versus hurts the shooting and hunting sports in general. Also keep hearing, “Wait til next year! that’s when the ammo supplies are forecast to return to normal.” Heard that for 8 years now and hoping not to hear it for another 8.

• James D Jaschob, I wonder why there is different policy at different Walmarts? Around here, all the Walmarts I’ve been to have a ONE box limit on .22 ammo just for the very reason you mention. They’ve been that way for at least the last two years, maybe longer.

In addition, they’re all open 24 hours per day and there is no set time for stocking the shelves with new ammo. Another strike against the hoarders.

Last, the clerks tell me they have no idea when or how much .22 ammo they will get.

It’s going to be awfully hard to be at the front of the line and buy up all the ammo that comes in at these Walmarts.

Yet they still didn’t have any ammo.

A few are starting to get some in now, just in the last two weeks but it has been mostly overpriced (8 cents per round) 100 packs of CCI Mini Mags.

• Justin says:

Our Walmart isn’t a 24 hour, so stocking is a scheduled thing. Besides, at its worst I’m sure there were people calling their friends/family and telling them if 22 was going to come in.

As for not buying overpriced 22’s I agree with you. Let the people that gobble it up and try and sell it for 2 or 3 times its value sit on it. If people stop buying it from them, they will stop gobbling it up to resell and the rest of us might actually be able to find it on the shelf.

Over 20 years ago I worked in a hardware store with a gun counter. It was rare to sell a full brick of 22 at one time, most people just bought 1-3 50 rnd boxes. When the weekly truck came in it was just a few bricks worth of bullets that went back on the shelves. Sometimes we’d have bricks on sale and then we’d have a whole end cap of bricks but that was only a couple times a year. Now, I burn through 500-2000 rnds in a single outing if I’m using my AR style 22’s and have a few friends with me. I think demand is just higher than supply and as long as the government blocks foreign imports (or taxes them so they are unaffordable) and prevents any new bullet manufacturing I don’t think you will ever see bullets sitting on the shelf.

• Sometime in the ’70s, when Winchester Wildcats came on the market at 49 cents per box, my friends and I started buying by the 5,000 round case. And we never–not once–had any trouble finding case lots to buy, so they had more than a few bricks in stock, in fact, quite a LOT more than a few bricks in stock.

When Walmart started carrying Federal bulk pack .22’s in 550 round carts, it was absolutely no problem whatsoever to walk in and buy 10 of these for $8.88 each, anytime I wanted.

I don’t believe that demand has ramped up that much in the last 20 years. My friends and I would each easily go through a case per year, if not two. Now, none of us shoot at all.

I’m still waiting for a magazine to do fact-finding research and trace where all this supposed “24/7 production” is going. One would think the manufacturers of .22 caliber guns would demand it. Why would anybody buy a .22 now when ammo is essentially unobtainable?

• mitch garstang says:

Federal brand used to be the very cheapest quality and priced Ammo in the USA. I dont know why people now act like its the greatest. I never paid more than $7 a brick for it as gifts for young family members at Christmas to plink with their new guns. my Grandpa and Dad both had gun dealership in their store long b4 I was born (1958) and into the late 1980s at least. we only bought Ammo made in USA and this was the prefferance of all gun owners there; Remington, CCI, Winchester then some Federal mostly 16ga shotgun shells as they where only makers of it that I knew of. I always bought Remington Yellow Jackets or CCI Stingers for my 22LR plinking, hunting due to reliability and great customer support from them with near 100% fire and perform as expected. now if you buy any brands cheaper Ammo you can expect lower quality in all areas but Federal and the cheapest boxes of other brands done well to give 80% fire and results and much worse on semi auto guns of high quality with jams and duds. for 22 long or 22 shorts some brands stopped producing these so choices where more limited. but being a family gun store we got advance notice of this and stocked up accordingly hence I still have several like new bricks of Winchester and Remington 22shorts for guns that must use them. this type of cooperation from manufacturers seemed to end in the 1970s. I remember Dad buying bricks of 22 bullets retail in the late 60s from all the top brands for under $4 each when 22lr in 50rnd boxes reaches 2 cents per bullet we thought it was HWY robbery lol. only elephant gun Ammo was more than $1 per round now most large bore and high powered rounds exceed that many times even. but reloading supplys have also become extinct and more costly than factory loads if you can buy the items to reload. I had people ask $2 each for used brass for Dads old 222Rem Mag can you believe it? this whole mess is just the latest attempt at forcing people to abandon firearms once the older Gun owners die off since there wont be a next generation to become interested in something obsolete. then the USA will likely have a new flag flown by whom ever does have guns. and new currency also. I just hope I am not here to see it. idiots ruin freedom.

• Mike says:

Local Dunhams sporting goods store had a decent supply of .22 ammo. Problem was it was mostly Remington crap. I bought 3 50 ct boxes of Winchester. I heard it reported here or somewhere there were new plants coming online. Lets hope Trump gets POTUS. Then we will at least be able to tell if the Democrats are behind it.

• James D Jaschob says:

From what I read, the most popular story is that demand is up way beyond production capability and because of the low profit margins on rim fire, manufacturers weren’t looking to add more lines. Just keep lines at max production and hope that hoarders didn’t wipe it out when available. Would be nice if more production capability was added but won’t hold my breath. We’ve had 8 bad years for guns and ammo and hopefully we won;t be facing another 8 after the next elections. I seem to remember an article that stated something like the max production for a year for 22LR off all company lines was a little over 4 billion rounds per year. It worked out with the number of forecast guns owners for 2015 that the limit for each person to get some ammo was like 38 rounds per year per person. It’s great that the number of shooters are growing but bad that production or import allowances haven;t been growing right along side also. Other ammo calibers and types are now also in short supply or way over priced. NOticed locally that unless you go over 100 rounds that the bulk prices don;t beat the cmaller boxes of ammo. 5.56 in 120 rounds at 45-50 cents per round in most places. Yet the same roudn in the 20 round boxes are 40-44 cents per round. That doesn’t figure right to me. At least when the ads around push bulk buys as a better value.

• mitch garstang says:

Winchester is taking care of my issue as I thought but I wanted to add that I also found another guy had same thing with 2 mangled bullets on top of pile in a Remington Bulk pack of 22lr so I am right about it being an all out industrial sabotage war with insiders trying to ruin the Ammo biz. also I have seen this ‘shortage’ of Ammo since Obama took office 8 years ago and nothing close to this b4. unless the criminal lady gets elected this year maybe next year things will return to normal.

32. mitch garstang says:

also many states and cities have laws against even passing through with some typres of Guns/Ammo and where they are hauled in vehicle like within reach of driver etc. and most of those municipalities do not honor CCL permits from any state. if you are pulled over for trafic violation or anything and the officer sees one of those items not allowed you will be treated like a felon and even have vehicle impounded. many dont allow semi auto guns, pistols, high powered rifles etc in there state of city and have steep fines/penaltys for same. please dont give them an excuse to make all Gun owners look bad. learn the laws of places you travel through not just you destination/home. IL and IN are just 2 of these states and smack in the middle of USA travelers path.

33. Robert Courtney says:

Americans are like sheep I remember the 1973 gas shortage.You could not get to the pump if you were near empty for the lineups of people with 3/4 of a tank.It is the same with ammunition.If and when the situation stabilizes,you might see some real bargains as these peasants realize their hoards are either useless or getting stale dated.

34. Pingback: Remington 22 Ammo 550