When will customers be able to get Sierra bullets?

Sierra Bullet HandsWe asked Sierra Bullets Vice-President of Sales, Matt Reams, “When will customers be able to get Sierra bullets?

The Short Answer:  That is a very tough question to answer and depends on a few things.

The Long Answer:

When will this rush be over?  Your guess is as good as ours, but my personal opinion is that by mid-year things will start to slow down to a more normal pace allowing us to start getting the back orders cleared up.

What bullets are you looking for? We are running most of our top sellers 24 hours per day right now as fast as we can make them.  As soon as the pressure lets up, you will start to see these types of bullets show up on the shelves very quickly.  Once shelves and inventories are stocked again with these products, we will then move to the bullet with the most back orders and so forth, right on down the line.  So if you are looking for 30 caliber 168 or 175 MatchKings, we are shipping them daily and they will be on the shelves as soon as the demand is met.  If you are looking for a slower seller like the #2850 35 caliber 225 grain SBT or #2310 303 caliber 180 grain SPT, it may be a year before we see those back on the press.  We hope it will not be this long, but it is a possibility.

Will new gun restriction talk start the buying again? It seems our friends in the government are not quite done yet.  Who knows what they will propose next and if that will have another buying spree associated with it.  We certainly hope they are done with the blanket “feel good” ban proposals and will instead focus on really fixing the issues which we all agree need to be fixed.

These shortages are not good for us as shooters, but even worse for our sport as a whole.  Competitors are passing up certain matches to conserve the ammunition they have.  We have new shooters (the future of our industry) that have just joined us by buying a firearm, only to find they cannot go out and shoot it.  We have potential lifetime memory hunting trips with sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and friends that may never happen due to the lack of ammunition.  What we can promise you is that we are committed to keeping the flow of bullets moving as fast as we can until the shelves in our building, our distributors building, and your home are resupplied.

18 Responses to When will customers be able to get Sierra bullets?

1. Ron Stephens says:

Just keep up the good work, guys.

2. Mike Blair says:

We understand the pressure you are under. Just keep on doing the best you can.

3. tom seaver says:

You guys do a great job and provde us with a great product and there is nothing that is a fault of yours. Thanks for all you provide us with and keep the bullits flying

4. Wade says:

Other then running 3 shifts per day, has Sierra added any more manufacturing capacity? Even if it is on a temporary basis? I know it can be done, I have seen itin many other manufacturing industries.

• Wade – Yes, we have our machinery staffed 100% and running 24 hours per day 6 days a week. We would have to build more machinery to run more bullets. Rest assured, we are running as many bullets as we can!

5. Sad says:

Sad news. Most of the casual shooters I know have disposed of most of their guns. They site the expense of ammunition as the main cause. Most of these people purchased surplus ammo from overseas and the cheap Russian ammo. Looks like all of that is at an end. In the past I took out my class 3 weapons 3 or 4 times a year now I’m lucky if I take them out at all. I’m seriously considering selling the Machineguns and purchasing another airplane. I will most likely get rid of most of my guns except for my self defense weapons. So in the end I’m like most others .. Been there done that , becoming to expensive and hard to find ammo … Time for a new sport.

6. Dennis H. says:

It’s now the middle of the next year, 12 month after u predicted (fingers crossed) u would be caught up and shelves would b stocked. I’m not a reloader, and don’t follow it, have u caught up Mr Reams?

7. Dennis H, Can you tell me where you saw that I stated that we would be caught up by mid-year 2013? I do not remember writing that and can not seem to find where I did. Please point it out to me and I will try and remember why I said it. Thank you.

• Dennis H. says:

this article is dated May 29th 2013. Was that a typo? If it was that’s the discrepancy I guess. My apologies Mr Reams. Can you do me one other favor go back to your 22 shortage article and tell them new equipment needs to be bought new lines need to be established for this thing to straighten out. The article lead people to believe ammo manufacturer shouldn’t spend any money to establish new lines to meet consumer demands. And arguing with idiots is wearing me out

• Dennis H. says:

And I’m Guessin by yer response demand is still higher than production. Like I said I’m not a reloader and don’t follow it….but ammo is still in short supply

8. No, that date was correct. However I did not state that we would be caught up by mid year. What I said was “my personal opinion is that by mid-year things will start to slow down to a more normal pace allowing us to start getting the back orders cleared up.” Orders did subside to more normal levels by Aug-Sept of last year and we have been gaining on the backorders ever since. But I did not say when we would be caught up. I stated that we would start getting them cleared up and we have been. It will be a long process though and we will not be caught up in 2014 for sure. Demand is much lower than production right now, but the backlog of the bullets we have not run yet is what is taxing us the most. And sorry, I cannot back you up on you opinion that more rimfire lines should be added. My opinion is to do exactly what they are doing. Adding super expensive lines to significantly increase supply for a short term (in line life span terms) business is not a smart business decision. Once the bubble has left the chain they will be left holding the bag on these lines that are no longer needed with huge investments in capital that will only weaken them in the market place. There is a reason that not a single rimfire maker is trying to triple their production. The pay off on the lines would last much longer than this bubble. These shortages are terrible for all of us, but they can not jeopardize their business to chase these kind of bubbles. That is my personal opinion anyway. We are all entitled to our own.

• Dennis H. says:

I wouldn’t say triple production either but adding 1 line isn’t tripling I would hope. Sounds like u guys are adding lines or have I misinterpreted?

• Dennis H. says:

Hey this whole threads been personal opinion ….my crystal balls no better than the next. If it was I’d be living on “my” island by now! But help me understand I’m not in the bullet business, if you’ve been buying new machines and hiring new people every year over the last 5 yrs haven’t u established a new line or two in that time? Again I’m not in your business and not trying to come off as a smart ass just lookin to wrap my head around it. Thanx again for respondin I’m sure your busy as the rest of us

• Dennis H. says:

Your making me wonder, do these ammo manufacturers only have 1 22 line each running 3 shifts and adding 1 line running 3 shifts would triple their production? Is that we’re the tripling comment comes from? Again I’m not in the business, I grew up 15 miles from federal and never took a tour.

• Adding a bullet like is FAR easier and less expensive than adding a rimfire line. Rimfire manufacturing is one of the hardest things to do in our industry. It is very expensive to set up, extremely dangerous to run, and takes a real expertise to do correctly and safely. You can make bullet in your garage. The 2 cannot be compared to each other. If one of our lines sits unmanned, it is not the end of the world. If you have invested in a rimfire line you better keep it moving or you will lose your shirt very quickly. They all have different amounts of lines, but adding capacity once they are fully manned and running 24 hours per day is very expensive.

• Dennis H. says:

I guess then I’m still hung up on why can’t 1 or 2 companies add 1 rimfire line.? It doesn’t sound like it triples production and as fast as that thing could spit em out would b the rate at which they would sell and there has to b money in it or they wouldn’t make a round of it to begin with. You’ve mentioned in the past a new norm of consumption I don’t see us manufacturing catching up with the new rate without adding a new line…..or letting foreign manufacturers take the market share. Your #’s on what ifs if every gun owner wanted 10 bricks it would take 40yrs at the current rate to make that much ammo is alarming to say the least! Again thanx fer letting me pick yer brain!

9. There is a reason none of them are willing to do that. If a new line would cost them 50 million to build (I have no idea what they cost, that could be low or high) for a product that sells for pennies a piece, you can see how long the pay off could take. There are also tons of “ghost” orders out there. If everyone has 5 cases of 22 LR on order from everyone who makes it, then as soon as they get it from one – they may cancel some or all of the others – and probably will if history holds true. By the time they get it build, running and staffed, the bubble could be over and now they have a 50 million dollar dust collector. Like I said, there is a reason no one is willing to do it. They have been through things like this before and there is no way the new “normal” is even double what it was. besides, It does not matter what people like you or I think anyway – they are going to do what they think is best and we will just have to live with it. Either that or start our own company and make rimfire. I know my pockets are not that deep however, so I will just wait on them and hope the bubble passes sooner rather than later!